Hilltrek poncho... a good choice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
I don't mind the high price if it gets the job done.

I'll probably get jumped on but frankly you could pay 1/10th and get something that gets the job done!

However, my scottish/yorkshire blood and price aside, the chap modelling it there in the photo is a member of this site; Wayland so he's probably the best person to ask!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
I'll probably get jumped on but frankly you could pay 1/10th and get something that gets the job done!

However, my scottish/yorkshire blood and price aside, the chap modelling it there in the photo is a member of this site; Wayland so he's probably the best person to ask!

I almost died when i seen the price.

Ihave a DD poncho which is impervious to water, it wiehhs 1 kg, can be made into a tarp, very big, bigger than most poncho's.

It is man made though, but i cost 20 pound, it's so thick it'll last for years.

No affiliation etc

garethw

Settler
I have a 58 pattern poncho, that also weighs about 1kg and fits in the outside pocket of my pack....looks very similar to the one in the link. Ok its not ventile, but is waterproof and strong.... and you can get them new for £125 less than this one.
Not knocking the product, that I'm sure is excellent..looks good and is made of top materials.... but no way in the world would I spend 150 quid on a poncho.
cheers
Gareth

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Wayland road tested it for a while and there is a thread here somewhere with his thoughts on it. Worth a search.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Thought not. While we're on the subject, anyone know of any cotton canvas ponchos out there - apart from the hilltrek one?

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
I've used mine in heavy rain and it does wet out after a while (ventile does that!) But it does not add a huge amount of weight. I got it as part of the GB on this site, it's my one "gucci" bit of kit and I'll not part with it for anything. ;-)

That said it is bloody expensive.

Your choice.

Cheers, Alan.

Last edited:

Stirling3749

Jan 30, 2011
BC, Canada
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

The 58 and other plastic ponchos seem great and have obviously proven themselves over time but I was hoping to find something made from more traditional materials and that won't melt in the face of rogue fire sparks if I can help it.
It seems like the reality of it is that ventile and canvas rainwear isn't totally waterproof but I can't picture a situation where I'd be standing out in heavy rain for hours anyway, I mostly just need something that can protect against SOME rain and not leave me overly soaked.

Here's a Canvas one that looks interesting. What do you think?
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/2-used-dutch-military-shelter-ponchos-olive-drab.aspx?a=772959

And this one has a detachable hood.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/belgian-mil-canvas-poncho.aspx?a=137475

I still think the hilltrek one looks the best but I'm not buying anything until I'm confident I've found what I want.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
You could also take a Tatonka polycotton tarp and make yourself a poncho out of it. Probably an OK compromise for spark resistance and time to dry. Not that cotton is not immune to sparks. Canvas tents had their fair share of holes from fire.

Also note that wearing a wet canvas poncho is a bit like walking in a fridge. It will draw heat from you big time (that was my biggest complain with ventile); so better have warm clothing beneath.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
I’ve been using the Hilltrek poncho for 2 years now and I’m very pleased with it. Previously I had used the NATO pattern ponchos, they were all second hand and I found that, with the use I gave them, they generally needed to be replaced after about 12 months.

The weight of both is about 1 kg, the width of the NATO version is 59” (1.5m) against Hilltrek’s 54” (1.372m) and the length of NATO one is 80” (2.04m) whilst Hiltrek’s length is 93”, being 3” (75mm) longer at the back.

NATO ponchos have eyelets to enable them to be set up as a basha, (I’ve had these fail even under light tension) whereas the Hilltrek has webbing loops securely attached, the whole of the loop is covered and this very neat arrangement means they do not catch on vegetation.

In practice I’ve found the extra length of the Hilltrek keeps me drier in heavy rain, the shoulders have a double layer of Ventile and I’ve never experienced water penetration. The great thing about the Ventile fabric is its total silence that is very useful if you’re looking out for wildlife. In very heavy rain I’ve got within about 20 m of a herd of deer whilst wearing the Hilltrek.

The only criticism I would have of the Hilltrek poncho is the use of ‘pop-it’ fasteners to close the sides, on mine one of these has become detached from the fabric, they seem a bit small for the job they do. NATO poncho’s use gypsy press studs which are robust and enable 2 ponchos to be linked to make a 2-person pup tent.

Overall I think the Hilltrek is worth the money, it’s very well made and will outlast ex military ones many times over.

Just my pennyworth, I’ve no connection with Hilltrek.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got a couple of diamond shaped canvas ponchos - think they're Dutch? They've got aluminium buttons on the sides and can be made into huge shelters, according to the diagrams on them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE