Hide glue advice please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

curiosity

Jan 23, 2013
Kent
Just made my first batch of hide glue from a deer skin. It is now reduced down to about 1/2 pint, is set solid and cold, looks like shinny chocolate coloured rubber. In deed, is like rubber. 3 questions. Will it store as is in a suitable container without going mouldy or should it be kept in the fridge. How does one reconstitute it? Also, just before it set I tried to glue two bits of wood together. It only took me about 5 seconds to spread the glue, but when I pressed the two pieces of wood together it was too late, it had set solid! Never worked with this before so all advice gratefully received!!

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
For long term storage, you want to dry it. Line a shallow tray with plastic food wrap, spread it thin, let it dry, break it up, and store in air tight container. Short term, keep it in the fridge. In use, it should be a wee bit thinner than honey, and about 160 degrees F. You should have enough time to rub your joint a couple of times before it sets, but not much more. Probably dating myself, but in the furniture trade we used hide glue by the hundred weight. You do not need to be spreading the glue on the joint, just slop enough one, rub the joint up. If you have none squeezing out, you did not use enough. If you are gluing up natural sinew, make it thinner, than for a wood joint.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE