HEXAMINE. PLEASE READ!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't think so. Pretty sure I read somewhere that they'd changed to greenfuel.

It's just individuals like us who are breaking the law.

p.s. Had a looksee.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sodium chloride (I think that’s the right name, correct me if wrong), one of the best weed killers, was for sale incredibly cheap to buy. Withdrawn in case terrorists make bombs with it, about 8-10 years ago, yet all during the troubles in Northern Ireland, IRA choice of ingredient for their bombs was SC. Now you have to buy bottles of round up or similar for about ten to fifteen times the price, I sometimes think it’s not for our safety but big companies personal gain.
i’ll had my victor moment and get my coat!!!!!

Sodium chloride is salt, table salt. Na+Cl-
Sodium chlorate is weedkiller. Na Cl O3

Sodium chlorate decomposes and gives off oxygen leaving just salt.....it's the decomposing bit that ends up being explosive.

Reactions: Ozmundo and Nice65

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Sodium chlorate decomposes and gives off oxygen leaving just salt.....it's the decomposing bit that ends up being explosive.

Don’t I know it! As a teenager we used to make our own “fireworks” involving tin cans and even tubing.

I left some mix on a saucer in our cellar and it spontaneously combusted. No damage but the smoke with its distinctive smell was sort of hard to explain to my dad.

It’s i odd that the law passed so quietly. I’m not going to get in a twist over this legislation. I’m going to take it easy and watch.

When exactly WAS it signed into law and for which of the UK’s nations?

Reactions: Ozmundo and Toddy

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
No acetone either, especially since precursor to TATP used in the Manchester Arena bombing.

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sodium chloride (I think that’s the right name, correct me if wrong), one of the best weed killers, was for sale incredibly cheap to buy. Withdrawn in case terrorists make bombs with it, about 8-10 years ago, yet all during the troubles in Northern Ireland, IRA choice of ingredient for their bombs was SC. Now you have to buy bottles of round up or similar for about ten to fifteen times the price, I sometimes think it’s not for our safety but big companies personal gain.
i’ll had my victor moment and get my coat!!!!!
I would correct you if you were wrong, but where to start?

Toddy has corrected your glaring inability to differentiate table salt from weedkiller and refer to it as SC because these letters make more sense to you than those used in the Periodic Table. I’ll correct the fact that RoundUp doesn’t contain any Sodium Chlorate, its a Glyphosate weed killer And not even flammable.

Glyphosate has been found, years after its approval and the huge profiteering of Monsanto, to be highly toxic and damaging to water supplies and not to break down harmlessly as was promised.

Back onto Hexamine, it was always a filthy way to make a cup of tea that took an hour to boil and tasted a bit fishy.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Whilst Hexi has its place, I think it’s safe to say very few people use it as a primary fuel as there are cleaner more convenient fuels out there.

Someone has clearly decided its use as an explosive precursor outweighs its use as a cooking fuel.

I’m curious about the ban though, Amazon and eBay continue to sell it and they are normally pretty hot on restricted items.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Only third party sellers seem to be selling it on Amazon, and not using Amazon fulfilment services.

Reactions: Wildgoose

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
You're joking ??
It's widely sold to remove polishes, varnishes, etc., and to clean circuit boards before soldering.

I meant not on the list of regulated substances, was responding to Broch

Reactions: Toddy

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I would correct you if you were wrong, but where to start?

Toddy has corrected your glaring inability to differentiate table salt from weedkiller and refer to it as SC because these letters make more sense to you than those used in the Periodic Table. I’ll correct the fact that RoundUp doesn’t contain any Sodium Chlorate, its a Glyphosate weed killer And not even flammable.

Glyphosate has been found, years after its approval and the huge profiteering of Monsanto, to be highly toxic and damaging to water supplies and not to break down harmlessly as was promised.

Back onto Hexamine, it was always a filthy way to make a cup of tea that took an hour to boil and tasted a bit fishy.
I admit I was wrong, with the name, that’s why I added the caveat, the SC was to reduce the typing and never the periodic table, the vitriolic character assignation was a bit uncalled for and if you’ve never made an error in life you are a lucky person.

Reactions: Toddy and Chris

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Esbit prohibited in the UK? For love of god, your country is getting stupider by the minute. And I used to be an anglofil. Not much to admire in GB any more.

Actually think this all originated in the EU in 2013.

Hexamine is listed in Annex II

"Substances on their own or in mixtures or in substances for which suspicious transactions shall be reported"

I would have thought selling a dozen or so tabs wouldn't be suspicious.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE