Hennessy Help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
First time in a Hennessy here. Suspended between 2 connifers ... bum about 8 inches above compost heap.

Stuck. Was life in the womb like this? Pleasant wobbly rocking motion. Comfortable, but can't see how to get out...

Thermarest has slid down over exit.

(Question: why is the fly assymmetric??)

Maybe here for some time.... At least it has Wi-Fi... :-D

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Kath said:
First time in a Hennessy here. Suspended between 2 connifers ... bum about 8 inches above compost heap.

Stuck. Was life in the womb like this? Pleasant wobbly rocking motion. Comfortable, but can't see how to get out...

Thermarest has slid down over exit.

(Question: why is the fly assymmetric??)

Maybe here for some time.... At least it has Wi-Fi... :-D

ok

1. get the thermarest out of the way
2. push one foot though the slit
3. sit up

next time tie the hammock up at chest hight with the foot end slightly higher than the head end and use the thermarest less inflated

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
hee hee, only one way Kath, breathe, now push push....
THe Whole hammock is asymetrical, so you lie diagonally acoss it, and dont wake up banana shaped. I like my thermarest in mine, but it does shift round the inside alot.
Some one posted that they had incorporated a pocket for it into there own design thai hammock - a fine idea IMO
Rich

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Phew! Well I made it out, thankfully! Lots of fun ... but more like an extreme sport than a place to sleep!

Hadn't realized about the diagonal sleeping (Cindy just told me that on the phone too! :wink:) Will give it another go.

Sitting down now ... but I still feel like I am swaying! :eek:):

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Kath said:
Thermarest has slid down over exit

Why do you need the Thermarest?? doesn't the heat from the compost heap keep you warm :roll:

I presume you are stuck in there with your Computer, if you still haven't got out by next week I'm sure someone will come and let you out :wave:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
bothyman said:
Why do you need the Thermarest?? doesn't the heat from the compost heap keep you warm :roll:
:eek:):

bothyman said:
I presume you are stuck in there with your Computer, if you still haven't got out by next week I'm sure someone will come and let you out :wave:
Luckily I had my PDA in my pocket ... Had to call for help on windows messenger! :lol:

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Aw forget foxwalk ouch ... Hennessy ouch is worse! Adi your knots need work! :p

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Kath said:
Aw forget foxwalk ouch ... Hennessy ouch is worse! Adi your knots need work! :p
He he he he ... :eek:): :eek:): :eek:):

Never, ever, set up a hammock temporarily just to get the snake skins on! :naughty: Why? Because you can guarantee that someone will come along and climb into said hammock!!!!! :naughty: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Hold on a minute Kath, are you going up in the world?..........the last time I saw you, you were sleeping outside, in a plastic bag, looking up at the sky, talking about squirrels and phesants!

Kath, put the Hammock down and walk away slowly............

Adi, get your good lady a tent!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Jack said:
Hold on a minute Kath, are you going up in the world?..........
Only briefly ... :rolmao:
Jack said:
Kath, put the Hammock down and walk away slowly............
:eek:): I would ... but I can't stop laughing! :rolmao:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Stick with it Kath.... you'll love it when you get the hang of it.... You've learn't your first important lesson.... put the hammock up yourself ;-)

Ed

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Well, I think that was without a doubt the best night's sleep I've ever had. Sorry Adi but I'm moving out the house! :eek:):

Couple of bits of advice from experienced Hennessy users would be appreciated:

Getting into sleeping bag - tricky, didn't manage to pull bag up much above waist. Getting out of sleeping bag wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

Keeping underneath the assymetric fly sheet - still haven't figured this out.

Well, as they say practice makes perfect. I am a TOTAL convert now. Never expected to be joining the ranks of the hammock nutters, but here I am. Didn't want to get out this morning. :-D :-D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Getting into sleeping bag - tricky, didn't manage to pull bag up much above waist. Getting out of sleeping bag wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be.
You'll just have to practice alot of shuffling in small spaces.... I tend to pull the bag over my legs (gettin my feet right to the bottom), shuffle it over my backside, then sit up and pull the bag over my shoulders.

Keeping underneath the assymetric fly sheet - still haven't figured this out.
Don't sleep down the ridge line, you need to sleep on a diagonal, head to the left, feet to the right and you will find you are lying flat and not like a banana. I guess if you move around alot in your sleep there is not much you can do, but I find that the hammock hugs my body and keeps it in that postition.... If you are using a thermarest, only half inflate it so it can mould to your body shape ;-)

Ed

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi all- this is my first post, yay!
I just got the HH ultralight explorer, and tried it out with my blue foam pad. I woke up halfway through the night to discover that half of it had migrated so a bit of my back was cold, and the half that was under me was sweat soaked!
HH are goin to make an underpad with silnylon bottom (that goes under the hammock as the name suggests....) But until then?
What do the hammock users sleep on? It's sooo comfortable I want to make it work in cold weather.
Also, what is this :naughty:
I mean, is it a sleazy face or what?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi wentworth and welcome to bcuk, it's great to have you.

I generally use an under inflated thermarest. Some of the other guys use animal skins and swear by them no matter what the weather, I'm going to try this soon.

The :naughty: is naughty!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE