Helvetinjärvi and Seitseminen National Parks in Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
This is continuation for the report on Syöte National Park. Helvetinjärvi is the largest national park by area in Southern or Western Finland. Together with Seitseminen National Park and other goverment own forests, it forms an area of around 25 by 25 miles large. The great thing about these areas are that they are only about an hour car (or bus) drive from Tampere-Pirkkala Airport! This is a real threat to us who live in Southern Finland or U.K. as the third large national park besides these and within a reasonable range from the capital is Nuuksio National Park in Espoo.

Although both of the national parks are quite small in Finnish scale (29.7 vs. 17.6 sq.mi), they easily offer enough things to discover and do for a weekend. The longest trails are respectively 6.5 and 11 miles. Helvetinjärvi is more rocky with high cliffs while half of Seitseminen's area is made out of swamps. I would say that Seitseminen might offer more for traditional backpacker without ways for moving across water but generally I would not rate other above other other than in size.

If you have any question about the practicalities or anything else, please let me know! I'll finish my post to two photographs taken from the Wikipedia.

Multiharju at Seitseminen National Park
640px-Seitseminen_-_Multiharju_panorama.jpg

Helvetinkolu at the Helvetinjärvi National Park
640px-Helvetinkolu_panorama.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Beautiful countryside, I keep reading about these places on Hendrik Morkels' site, I must visit one day

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE