help needed for the itches !!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
evening all, just back from Portugal and SWMBO has been bitten about a dozen times, she's taking anti histomine (sp ) but is being driven bonkers by the itching........is there anything in the kitchen cupboard that she could put on the bite to ease the itching ?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Tell me about it, I was working in Essex last week and got fairly chewed by mosquito's.
Somehow I didn't feel like I needed a bleedin malaria jab to work near Dagenham.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In the kitchen cupboard? Maybe. But for sure a small tube of 1% hydrocrtizone cream will bring temporary relief. Whatever brand name (or generic) is available at your chemist.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Olive oil :)

You need to put something on that isolates the bites from the air. :)

It might not remove it completely, but it sure does help.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Put the handle of a steel spoon in boiling water for five seconds and then press the tip hard into the bite. It will hurt for split second before you feel sort of extasy. It won't itch after that. If it does, repeat.

The key is only pressing enough metal into the bite area itself and not the surrounding skin as this can hurt. You need to tailor the metal item to fit the area of the bite. And it has to be very hot. Used it for years and it works every time. Press hard and don't release until you feel the heat has gone.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
If you have one of those alum stick deodorants then they are very good at relieving the itching. Just smear it on the bite.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I always found malt vinegar applied to the bite area stops the itching almost instantly.

Be warned, it does sting for a second or so.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Olive oil :)

You need to put something on that isolates the bites from the air. :)

It might not remove it completely, but it sure does help.

That's how we used to kill some parasites: redbugs (what you call chiggers), mange (certain lice on dogs), etc. Not neccessarily olive oil; maybe vaseline, or even old motor oil on the dogs. But the same principle.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Put the handle of a steel spoon in boiling water for five seconds and then press the tip hard into the bite. It will hurt for split second before you feel sort of extasy. It won't itch after that. If it does, repeat.

The key is only pressing enough metal into the bite area itself and not the surrounding skin as this can hurt. You need to tailor the metal item to fit the area of the bite. And it has to be very hot. Used it for years and it works every time. Press hard and don't release until you feel the heat has gone.

My Gran used to do that with us, She used what I think was a darning or crochet type of "needle".

Sheesh, takes me back...

Liam

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I tried with a hot spoon and ended up with a massive burn blister. Hot water from the tap run over the bites can help - has to be as hot as you can bear

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've been told to put a dab of toothpaste on gnat & mozzie bites, but haven't tried it yet. I usually use vinegar or juice from a dock leaf.

Dave

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I recently did some self experiments and found the little electric clicker devices to work OK..
So far as getting the bites down i found hydracortizone cream to work well in conjunction with antihistamines.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
One night in Munich three years ago, still itches like **********

IMG_0773a (2).jpg

35C, thick Kevlar jeans and motorbike boots - so comfy!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Just mosquitos, I think it's fair to say I have a low tolerance to the little **********, still itching three years later. That's probably the most spectacular attack I've ever had, but bosses don't believe you when you take a day off for a midge bite. One on the knuckle and it's like I'm wearing boxing gloves!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE