Help me choose a new stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I'm looking for a new stove that is versatile and can use several fuels, I currently have a wood stove and butane/propane stove that uses cartridges, I do not like this personally, because the cartridges maybe one day discontinued, I'd like a petrol or liquid fuel stove. That could use well petrol, meths, acetone, white spirit, fuels like that.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
If you have money then a nova+ or similar. on a budget look on ebay for the far east copies people on here have had good luck with.

You are unlikely to fine one that lists acetone as a fuel, I've never tried it, it may work but my guess is it would be very bad for the seals etc and its not a common fuel. Some can run meths but its not a good fuel choice in these systems and can cause corrosion. The hydrocarbons are the main fuels they burn. Road fuels are quite messy and cause blockages but unadulterated petrol, white spirit, fuel oil, kero, and any mixtures inbetween work well. Some of the best mutli fuels also use gas canisters.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Primus Omnifuel or the more pricey but much lighter Omnilite was my choice.

They simmer down low very well and cooking is a pleasure one them, the pumps are better than the MSR's and it burns liquid gas as well as gas which means they will burn gas down to very low temps in winter-just like a remote gas stove.

They wont burn meths, but a Cat style aluminium meths stove weighs 6g and costs nothing but 10 mins time with a hole punch. :)

If I was shopping on a budget, the chinese stoves look good and lots on here have had good results from them ;)

kmac

Tenderfoot
May 13, 2009
London
Another vote for the Primus Omnifuel. Would like the Omnilite but can't really justify it as I don't need my stove to be ultra lightweight

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm looking for a new stove that is versatile and can use several fuels, I currently have a wood stove and butane/propane stove that uses cartridges, I do not like this personally, because the cartridges maybe one day discontinued, I'd like a petrol or liquid fuel stove. That could use well petrol, meths, acetone, white spirit, fuels like that.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Omnifuel is a great multifuel stove but won't burn meths and you really want to leave off fuel like acetone and white spirit, stick to paraffin/naptha and gas.

I'd not worry about the standard Lindal thread cartridges being discontinued as they are used more and more these days, its pretty much the industry standard now.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Plumbers gas cans fit onto the Lindal thread. They are a little cheaper and are a propane/butane mix. I prefer the shape of the plumbers gas can TBH, as I don't pack the cartridge in my cookpot. It seems to stuff in a pack more easily.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
lets not forget the old favourites like the optimus 111 - several versions will burn virtually any liquid fuel including meths/alcohol and diesel, and are superb at simmering (possibly even better than the omnifuel and nova?) won,t burn gas though...

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Omnifuel is a great multifuel stove but won't burn meths and you really want to leave off fuel like acetone and white spirit, stick to paraffin/naptha and gas.

I'd not worry about the standard Lindal thread cartridges being discontinued as they are used more and more these days, its pretty much the industry standard now.

Hmm, Naptha is white spirit. But if I remember white spirit is 95% naptha~ and 5% parrafin.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I will buy the MSR Whisperlite, when my pocket permits. But still I would like a collapsible wood stove about the same size roughly as the honey stove, I can't seem to find any designs, I'll have to make mine again but this time just add hinges on the edges of the steel.

Last edited:

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
i used white spirit exclusively in a whiperlite for a while whith good results but quality does vary. its a much better choice than unleaded though and can be cheap. the chain length is generally longer than naptha / petrol so it may be worth experimention with the jet.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Plumbers gas cans fit onto the Lindal thread. They are a little cheaper and are a propane/butane mix. I prefer the shape of the plumbers gas can TBH, as I don't pack the cartridge in my cookpot. It seems to stuff in a pack more easily.

Have you got a link to a plumbers gas can?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE