Help me choose a crooked knife blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 13, 2012
Norge
Hello everyone. I'm a first time poster here but have been a reader for some years. I would like to buy a crooked knife blade so that I can make my own handle (cheaper and more fun) but I only want to buy one and I want it to be the right choice. I want to see if the crooked knife can become my favorite all-round tool in the bush, a versatile carving tool, and I wouldn't mind being able to carve some shallow spoon bowls out in a pinch, though I understand there are better tools for this such as hook knives and gouges.

So as I see it so far, my options are :
Jojo
Duncan
Make my own... anything else?

From those who have used the latest and greatest from these makers, which do you prefer and why? Which has the correct ergenomics for a bush tool?

Thanks and look forward to seeing what you guys think.

:)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Dave Budd from this parish makes a hook knife that can also serve a bit like a crooked knife.

It has a continuously-tightening curve and I've found it to be very good for shaping the convex outers of spoons, plus handles. The tight inner curve is wonderful for deep spoon bowls.

Excellent value.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I'm loving my Nic Westerman blades. Lovely laminated silver steel and perilously sharp.
They cut through wood like butter.
+1 for Dave Budd and Ben Orford too. You won't go wrong with any of those.
Cheers , Simon

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
The OP was asking about a crooked knife or Mocotaugan.
I tried the make-your-own-from-a-file variety, but I used Duncan's research as a guide. I ended up with something that looked the part but the blade wasn't ground properly before putting a bend in and would now be a pita to sharpen properly. Also the handle angles were all wrong so it was really uncomfortable to use. The third problem is ending up with an awkward shaped sharpening with no sheath. I've been meaning to do another sometime but other projects have got in the way.

There's no real problem making your own but be prepared to end up with a "prototype".

Z

Jun 13, 2012
Norge
The OP was asking about a crooked knife or Mocotaugan.

Hahah. Indeed I was. I actually did make my own a while ago and ran into some of the same problems as you... I got a 'protype' and don't want to try again right now

So now that this has been cleared up, does anybody have some experience with these to offer some advice?

And if I could find a way to get Bo's hook knife for spoon carving, I would.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
From what I have heard from a mate the frost equis (hoof knife) is very good, have a look a NORDIC outdoors. Just drill out the rivets for a handle job.

Thanks Southey.....didn't know such an animal existed.....and in left handed too...for us more sinister sorts......:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE