Hello you cretinous bunch of...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Welcome back JD :D

Southey's gone 'professional', and we miss him, but we wish him well :cool:
The New Post button is top left on the darker blue header bar....the Boss is playing with skins, etc., so that might change, he confused us no end with his last upgrades, but we're hoping this one will go more smoothly....if we end up dayglo purple and cyan though, we know who to nag :)

That sounds a touch nippy with the cobra :yikes: I trust you didn't necrotise and lose bits ? The tale would make an interesting addition to the Do Not Do This To Yourself! thread though :D

I don't know who to praise, you or Emma, but one of you has the patience of a saint by the sounds of it :D

Yup, it's freezing. Scorching sunshine through the days ( I know that's relative, but I'm around 55degN here and 25degC is roasting to a fairskinned, freckled Scot, I got sunburnt :( ) and it was actually frosty the other morning. Goatboy photo'd his car windscreen with the date to show just how icy it was.

Your back in time for the midgies though, and the clegs :( the good news is that Xylaria has a new magic potion that's keeping the blighters at bay)
The school holidays are coming up fast, and you've got a girlchild :) tag teamed by your females there JD :D

Enquiring minds would like to know; what was the first aid and subsequent treatment of genuine snake bite ? There are weird sooky syringe kits for sale in the bargain shops supposedly for snake bite. One of the random pieces of detritus that end up on our shores that catches the eye and leaves the brain a bit puzzled :dunno: How do they make, pack, export and sell for a quid though? and are they any blooming use ?

Having been bitten though, I reckon it takes guts to go back to dealing with the slitherers :)

atb,
Toddy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Welcome back JD, :)

Some of us are glad to see you back in one piece......

now questions can be answered

And indeed they will Mr Tinky!! Hehe, Mr Tinky :lmao:

Welcome back JD :D

Southey's gone 'professional', and we miss him, but we wish him well :cool:
The New Post button is top left on the darker blue header bar....the Boss is playing with skins, etc., so that might change, he confused us no end with his last upgrades, but we're hoping this one will go more smoothly....if we end up dayglo purple and cyan though, we know who to nag :)

That sounds a touch nippy with the cobra :yikes: I trust you didn't necrotise and lose bits ? The tale would make an interesting addition to the Do Not Do This To Yourself! thread though :D

I don't know who to praise, you or Emma, but one of you has the patience of a saint by the sounds of it :D

Yup, it's freezing. Scorching sunshine through the days ( I know that's relative, but I'm around 55degN here and 25degC is roasting to a fairskinned, freckled Scot, I got sunburnt :( ) and it was actually frosty the other morning. Goatboy photo'd his car windscreen with the date to show just how icy it was.

Your back in time for the midgies though, and the clegs :( the good news is that Xylaria has a new magic potion that's keeping the blighters at bay)
The school holidays are coming up fast, and you've got a girlchild :) tag teamed by your females there JD :D

Enquiring minds would like to know; what was the first aid and subsequent treatment of genuine snake bite ? There are weird sooky syringe kits for sale in the bargain shops supposedly for snake bite. One of the random pieces of detritus that end up on our shores that catches the eye and leaves the brain a bit puzzled :dunno: How do they make, pack, export and sell for a quid though? and are they any blooming use ?

Having been bitten though, I reckon it takes guts to go back to dealing with the slitherers :)

atb,
Toddy

Hahaha, Southey gone professional. Now there's a conflict of words.

The cobra thing was not too bad. I was actually bagging the critter and as I was releasing the head a bleedin' great scary black wasp bashed right into my right eyeball. The snake only needed a tenth of a second, but he got at least ten times that. One fang went into the base of my thumb and the other hit my nail. He had been spitting at my colleague for a while so his venom reserves were depleted. I had huge problems breathing for a couple of days, which was quite scary as I had to physically and mentally concentrate on pulling every breath for about 20 hours, but it got better. No necrosis.

First aid was simple. I did think of using a venom extraction syringe as cobras have small fixed fangs compared to vipers, so you can draw some venom out. You can't use these with viper bites as the haemotoxins can coagulate and make the local necrosis worse, but with cobras this isn't such an issue. In the end I applied a compression bandage to my forearm, kept movement to a minimum and tried to calm my metabolism through slow breathing and calm state of mind. Strangely enough, I find this quite easy and I'm usually less stressed than those around me. From a scientific point of view, going through the process first hand fascinates me.

When it comes to patience and Emma, I win out. She only has to deal with me. I have to deal with her!! School holidays are fine. When it comes to tag teams, she's deffo on my side. When we were bow shooting in the woods one day, we both speculated on what would happen if we accidently hit Emm. The littlun managed to plan the whole thing from burial to excuses. Daddy's girl!!!!

Back to those venom extraction kits. Some are in favour, some not. If you don't know snakes and the different effects of venom, they are a bad, if not dangerous idea. They have their uses, but you need to know exactly what snake yields what venom and how that can affect the body and localised area. Even bite location on the body can make them deadly or potential life savers. Unless you are an ophiologist, then I would never recommend them. I notice Hennies have them for sale now.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The cobra thing was not too bad. I was actually bagging the critter and as I was releasing the head a bleedin' great scary black wasp bashed right into my right eyeball. The snake only needed a tenth of a second, but he got at least ten times that.

Wasp and snake assault world famous ophiologist! :lmao:

A wasp in the eye is not funny really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE