Hello! I'm new, and I need some advice on fishing rods :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 1, 2009
brighton, uk
HI All,

just joined up here on recommendation, and I'm looking to catch some mackerel on the beach some day soon, but i have to get a rod first - anyone have any tips for a basic starter looking out for a(n affordable) new toy? I was looking at the following page, but I'm really lost on what any of the specs mean - is it going to be massive and ridiculous for me? the link is as follows:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Telescopi...66:2|39:1|72:1688|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

cheers,

Manda.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
That looks good for the money.

Might be an idea to replace the line with something a bit heavier, say between 12 and 18lb for sea fishing.

Put some macky feathers, hokkis on the end of that and if there are mackerel about you will have just as much of a chance as anyone else with that set up.

Jul 1, 2009
brighton, uk
lovely stuff. reckon I'll splash out (!) on it, 'tis nearly my birthday and all...watch out mackerel, here i come...!

thanks very much, you've instilled in me the confidence, now time to do!! :)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If you're going to be beach fishing, the 8ft rod isn't going to be long enough - more suited to pier/harbour fishing really.

You'll struggle to cast out very far, just had a quick look on t'net and something like this would be more suitable for mackerel bagging. I can see the 8ft rod breaking under the strain of having 4 - 6 mackies on the line at once.

http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/OUTFITS/be219beach.htm

I'm sure there's plenty of other similar stuff knocking about too.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I like to use a 12' specimen rod from the beach. It'll be much more versatile than a beach caster or spinning rod and will have plenty of backbone to bring in a full string of feathers or a nice bass on a lure. You'll get more of a fight with that type of rod too.

It'll easily handle floats, spinners, lures or ledger gear.

I've landed rays to 10lbs, Wrasse to 5 1/2lbs and some really nice Bass no probs on mine.

The only issue is the size of them. I've got a Shimano exage travel spinning rod for times when I can't carry a big rod. It's 11' and pretty strong but might struggle with bigger fish. I reckon a string of 3 feathers with a 2oz lead would still work though if you got the biggest in the range (I think theres 4 with varying casting weights). I think they might even do a travel carp rod now too actually.

St Samwise

Jun 20, 2009
penrith
you really do want a beachcaster for that stuff, try Glasgow angling centre, however the lenght of the rod does not give your more distance, it merely allows you more leverage, which means with a bigger weight you cast further, my advice would be to go to a local tackle shop and ask lots of questions and also ask for recomendations, they will be able to help you more than most. Also buying " in shop" lets you feel the gear and work out whats you like

Samwise

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I've also recently started beach-casting, I got myself this rod;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250437297478

I splashed out on a second hand Abu Garcia 6500 Blue Elite Multiplier, and it's all good. If you can, get someone experienced to set up the tension etc on your reel, as I found things a lot easier once I'd had mine set up by someone more experienced!

The criticism I have of this particular rod is that (being 5'3"), it's very long for me! But I can get very good distance, be it from the quay or from the beach. Although my knowledge is pretty slim, I'd probably agree that an 8' rod may be a bit short, unless you're actually even shorter than me :)

I use 18lb line and 4oz wieghts, I'm busy trying different shaped weights to see if I can reduce my losses! hehe

Let us know how you're doing, always nice to hear about another female getting down on the mackerel scene! ;-)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Let me preface this by saying I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT, but I used my 2.1m Shimano Exage telescopic rod (CW 5-20g) for the first time a couple of weeks ago. We were trying for bass of a beech in north Wales – and no, we didn’t get any. But according to the bit of a book I read, they are often in the surf and the rod allowed us to cast a bass lure well beyond the surf.

Am I talking claptrap, or is this rod suitable for this or should I reserve it for lakes and piers? Can you get mackerel from anywhere I could get with this rod?

Remember – I know nothing :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE