Hello from the Highlands of Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeCoats

Apr 10, 2013
Inverness, Scotland
Ladies and Gents,

I thought I'd better introduce myself as a new member. I stay in Inverness, work through in Forres and at the weekends I can be found cycling and wandering about all over the North of Scotland.

Mike

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Hi Mike. Welcome to BCUK :) I've recently moved away from there. I lived in Lossiemouth, Burghead, then Kinloss. A beautiful area with LOADS of decent places for overnighting; a resource I really miss.

I look forward to reading your posts from such a lovely place.

Ed

MikeCoats

Apr 10, 2013
Inverness, Scotland
Cheers for the warm welcome guys!

If you don't mind, I'd love to pick your brains?

Ed, do you remember where some of these spots are? I've been scouring over my OS maps for nice forested areas away from people I might bug, but they all seem to be right next to cottages and farm houses that I'm worried I'll just hack off by roaming about.

Woodspirit, I see you've got a set of flexcut palm chisels in the background of your photos; what do you think of them for a beginner setting out on carving? I've just ordered a crook and a pick knife from Ben Orford to do some spoons, etc. but I'm always on the lookout for where to progress to next.

Mike

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Ed, do you remember where some of these spots are? I've been scouring over my OS maps for nice forested areas away from people I might bug, but they all seem to be right next to cottages and farm houses that I'm worried I'll just hack off by roaming about.

Mike

Hi Mike,

There are loads of spots, but Burghead woods were fantastic. As you drive into Burghead the forest on your left. It extends for miles between the Burghead - Forres roads; some of which is the old railway lines. I had a house in the village and walked the dogs through it every day and would rarely see anyone else. An overnighter is no problem there. In the better weather you can go right up to the beach and still hang a hammock with great views of the sea. A really amazing resource.

I was in the Forces so also used areas around Kinloss Base, but you can get to the same areas via Findhorn Bay and the Findhorn Foundation.

It's best to have a few walks around so you feel confident with the landscape, but trust me, it's perfect around there (I'm really envious :( )

If you want any more specific info please feel free to PM me any time.

Ed

MikeCoats

Apr 10, 2013
Inverness, Scotland
...Burghead woods were fantastic... It extends for miles between the Burghead - Forres roads; some of which is the old railway lines.

Ed,

Yeah I think I know where you mean. I used to go climbing at Cummingston so I know the old railway line. I've had a look at the google maps and it looks like a good sized bit of woodland; I'm sure there's lots of room to disappear off for a night in there. Cheers for the pointers.

Mike

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Welcome Mike.

I grew up in Nairn and its a cracking part of the world for life!

I'd recommend culbin too, and if you fancy a long walk, try a night on the Old Bar- fantastic waking up on the edge of the beach looking out to sea!

All the best

KP

All the best

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Cheers for the warm welcome guys!

If you don't mind, I'd love to pick your brains?

Woodspirit, I see you've got a set of flexcut palm chisels in the background of your photos; what do you think of them for a beginner setting out on carving? I've just ordered a crook and a pick knife from Ben Orford to do some spoons, etc. but I'm always on the lookout for where to progress to next.

Mike

hi Mike, Ben orfords work is highly regarded here im sure they will fit the bill fine. yes i use Flexcut gear for carving, just a personal choice. that 11 piece travellers set as you mentioned plus 3 Flexcut detail knives, raxor sharp, easily maintained and they wont break the bank!

as for likely spots to camp, ive been hankering after Glen Affric around your way for a while. getting beyond Cannich can be a mission out of season though unless you have your own transport. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ZEbbEDY

Nomad
Feb 9, 2011
Highlands
burghead woods are ok but looads of dog walkers, nice walk along to roseisle

nearer inverness way there is glen affric and glengarry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE