Hello from Southampton

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I'm new to the whole bushcraft thing but have some experience of basic camping and cooking on a fire from my medieval re-enactment days but prefer a bit more comfort with my sleeping arraignments these days rather than under a bush in a bivi bag. I have an interest in field butchery and make my own jerky but would like to eventually learn how to catch and prep the meat for the jerky myself. Also fancy doing a bit of motorcycle touring at some point that will probably involve some wild camping.

Unfortunately being on the South coast I don’t think there are any Bushcraft school near me but if anyone knows of any please can they let me know.

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Hello and welcome!

Jerky eh? I love jerky.

Take a look at the meet ups section of this forum, it's cheaper than a school, chance to make friends and you can pretty much practice what you like (within reason).

ATB and enjoy your stat

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Grendel - welcome to the forum

Check out Bushcraft Expeditions who run some superb courses near Dorchester, I did their Tracking and Wild Food courses last year

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Welcome to the forum Grendel

As for the touring on the motorbikes i spent 3 weeks touring europe a few years back and would highly recommend it !

Jason

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
Welcome Grendel, my dad has done alot of touring round europe/easten europe on his 1150GS and he really enjoyed it, only problem is he keeps
nicking my kit to take with him :)

Dec 27, 2009
MI USA
Jerky on the cheap. Buy some burger, season it up, flatten into a thin thin layer and dry.
Great way to experiment with flavors. And it tastes good. I do a lot of venison this way.
Welcome.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Thanks for all the replys folks.

Jerky on the cheap. Buy some burger, season it up, flatten into a thin thin layer and dry.
Great way to experiment with flavors. And it tastes good. I do a lot of venison this way.
Welcome.

Never tried ground jerky as the Americans call it I tend to use beef frying steak cut into slices then marinade overnight in Soya sauce chilly flakes and garlic powder. Never been brave enough to try using venison since if I cock it up it cost more and wastes good meat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE