Hello from South East Bulgaria

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have lived with my Russian Wife here since 2009.

I love the outdoors summer and winter and Bulgaria has a lot to offer - albeit, I'm finding it very difficult to source someone local that can show me what you can and cannot eat for free (besides endless fruits), but here's hoping.

Hi there, Welcome to BCUK

What made you join a British forum if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind at all, I'm a BRIT. :rolleyes: We live the Good Life here to a certain extent, we still don't have our own livestock yet, but getting there slowly. Bulgaria is a beautiful country of high mountains, foothills, plains down to the Danube and of course the Black Sea Coast. We have great summer weather currently hovering between RED to Orange heat warnings, but the winters can be very harsh.

We drive Russian 4 x4 Lada Niva Jeeps (only way we can get home during mud and snow). We have fantastic wildlife, Jackals can be heard most evenings and the land stretches for miles and mostly unfenced.

I wish to find a local fauna and flora expert that can show me/teach me what can be taken off the land so that I may teach others, but as yet haven't found the expert I am looking for. I doubt that there is even an English language book showing the same, but seeing in the flesh so to speak is far more memorable to me that searching through a reference book. Starting fires, finding making shelter, comparing kit and just how much of it these days my 57 year old frame will carry are just interesting comparisons for me as I spent 14 years in the British Army and a fair amount of time behind the old iron curtain. I was NOT in the SAS, but I was attached to it for a short-while so no pretending to being something that I wasn't - I was in an even smaller and might I say, 'more effective' outfit. :)

So, I am here to read, learn and hopefully encourage some of you (that haven't already tried) to come out to Bulgaria and see some of the last remaining Wolves (If you're lucky to see them) and Black Bears and learn/teach some of the skills we have here. I actually got here by following a You Tube Link to a Take-down Re-curve Bow from PVC tube that I thought was brilliant.

I have in my possession a genuine РПБ-1 Soviet made underwater harpoon with original documentation from 1986. Currently trying to source spares for it, but haven't dismantled it yet to even identify what the problem is, but my Bulgarian Friend that bought the harpoon back all those years says it is broken.

There is always something to do here, this year we hope to get the garages and workshops built which will include a Forge so no knowing what we might hammer out in anger.

Thanks for the welcome guys and gals.

Ps, I wish I could work out how to get newest posts to the top of the thread and not at the bottom.

I'm beginning to think that THIS FORUM is not for me, I have a lot of experience to give, (I also accept that I have a lot to learn) but cannot wait HOURS for some MOD sat on his posterior to vet my posts so that that may or may not be posted - what it this Area 151. If you don't want my contributions or cannot be bothered to answer my PM's to Admin - your loss, I'll still be around come end of December, but most of you probably will not as you'll be waiting for an answer on here. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Ps, I wish I could work out how to get newest posts to the top of the thread and not at the bottom..."

Click settings at the top right of the page.

Click 'General Settings' in the 'My Settings' box on the left of the settings page.

4IrBK.png

Scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'.

XJSz2.png

And select your choice in the 'Thread Display Mode' pull down menu.

And Bob is your sisters husband. :)

I'm just wandering if I'm wasting my time on here, I replied to numerous posts - nothing shows most of the time, I write to MODS/ADMIN trying to understand why they don't get posted and of course NO REPLY.

I lived in Russia for over 15 years, I have things to contribute and still things to learn; if every time an idea or question comes into my head that I have to wait HOURS for some MOD?ADMIN to decide whether my experience is worthy or not of being posted then, sorry Partner, this guy is riding the wrong horse in the wrong direction - you decide before I get out of lasso range.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE