helle laplander (sami pattern)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulbibby

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2008
Kempsford Cotswolds
hi all ive just been given a helle laplander by my little sis. ive never used a HELLE knife before are they any good as this is my first sami pattern knife and dont want to waste my time if it no good ?????

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
hi all ive just been given a helle laplander by my little sis. ive never used a HELLE knife before are they any good as this is my first sami pattern knife and dont want to waste my time if it no good ?????
No mate they are rubbish, send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you:D :D

They're good knives, if a trifle big (for me)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Helle are very good knives. Enjoy it.

Dave

Edited to add - I'd reccomend hot-waxing the sheath, they can sometimes be a bit flimsy, especially considering the edge a Helle can take and hold!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
i've got a Helle S80, stainless steel, curly birch handle and it hold an edge. I would take the factory grind off it though with a dc4 or whatever you've got.
Nothing fancy but useable knife.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I've never managed to get that good an edge on my fjellkniven any suggestions. I can however get my mora seriously sharp.

Helle are very good knives. Enjoy it.

Dave

Edited to add - I'd reccomend hot-waxing the sheath, they can sometimes be a bit flimsy, especially considering the edge a Helle can take and hold!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I either use the full waterstone/strop set up or a DC4 on my Helle Eggen. Never a problem getting a truly wicked edge. I do tend to strop little and often though.

Dave

paulbibby

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2008
Kempsford Cotswolds
cheers all im well impressed by your replies (i also thaught the sheath was a tad flimsy but i made a new liner for the sheath from 1.5mm kydex just to protect the leather)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Took my Helle Eggan with me on an 8 day bushcraft wilderness canoeing trip to Sweden in the summer.
It stood up realy well to some real battering,it was used for battoning every day and still had a very useable sharp edge (for food prep,and the like) at the end of the trip.
Not many better knives out there for the £50 mark,I would suggest!
Regards.
C da C.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Martini Dave
Can you explain what you mean by hot-waxing and how to go about doing it? (what are the advantages). Im intrigued. TVM Ed

Rod

On a new journey
Have used a Helle Fjellkniven for the last 4+ years: all over the place, and in all climates.

Excellent & reliable knife. Have had no problems with sharpening it :confused: . Use a course and fine diamond stones, then strop to finish. Shaves a treat! :D ;)

Don't be tempted to buy one in Norway though - way more expensive that the UK!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
There used to be an excellent hot-waxing tutorial on the now defunct Outdoors Magazine site.
Basically melt some beeswax.
Gently - and I do mean gently - warm the leather of the sheath then with an old tootbrush or similar apply the melted wax.
When you first start it will quickly look pretty awful, you'll think "My god what have I done" but stick at it and keep brushing more wax on/into the leather.
Once the coating is even let it cool off, then give it a good buff up and maybe a coat of boot-polish to make it look pretty.
It's worth checking the knife fit while the sheat cools, as its possible to re-mould the sheath a bit for a better fit at this time. Also you can re-warm the sheath to adjust fit at a later time if you like.

Here's a link to an article on Ragnars Forge :-

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Forums.html

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE