Hedging mits.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
A strong pair of hedging mits.

This were made by hand for me by a saddler so they don't come much better. I have never used them so as it is the time of year for hedge laying then this will of more use to someone then there are to me at the moment:rolleyes:

They are just as good for forge work as well.

£20

Paypal info@woodlandorganics.com and please give me a shout if you need to know anything else jack@woodlandorganics.com

Best wishes,

Jack.

PB270005.jpg

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Just been learning hedgelaying (fun weekend of billhooks and axes, the new staffie from you along with the tutors identical but older staffie were easily the best there, the BTCV provided bulldog ones would have struggled to cut warm butter!). I'm rather puzzled by these mits as I got on fine with dealing with very overgrown blackthorn using heavy gauntets, and can't think how mits would be better than gloves but would be delighted to told I'm wrong and end up with some.
Also amazed at the thorn proofness of my swannie, yes I know it was meant to be thornproof but what it has stopped stabbing me this weekend was way above and beyond the call of duty!
Oh and on the subject of billhooks who made the Yorkshires you used to stock and any idea where to get them now, the tutor was complaining he couldn't find any decent ones and the next hedge I have in mind will certainly warrent one (and some axes and probably a chain saw!).
Cheers
David

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Morning David.

Glad to see that you are getting stuck in!

It has always amazed how volunteer groups and colleges provide their students with the most ill made, ill fitting tool - the Bulldog hook. I amazed at how anyone sticks to 'rural skills' after they have been using one of these completely ridiculous tools, tutors should know better, shouldn't they? The tools that you use are all part of the skill that you are trying to learn. No one will ever be able to call themselves a hedge layer until they understand and have mastered their tools, there is no compromise.

With regards the mitts, it is a case of hand protection. In the main, when you are laying a broad leave hedge you don't really need a mitts or gloves but when you it comes to the thorns then this is a different matter. I would dream of tackling a blackthorn hedge without some serious hand protection. Blackthorn has a serious habit of infecting you if you 'thorn yourself' I still have black stain under the skin of my left hand when a thorn had me back in the early 90's when I was dropping a hedge................I couldn't work for a week as my hand had swollen up like a balloon as blackthorn will poison you, badly - do not take any risks with it.

The reason mitts are superior then gloves is basically that you don't not have any weak points i.e. the seams. You will drive a thorn down between your fingers with out even knowing it, seen this happen many many times. The thorn group are so called as they have thorns, they have thorns as a self defense mechanism, not much in the animal kingdom will tackle will tackle them.............until us soft skin humans come along believing that we are tougher than anything else.

Working a hedge all day long is serious graft and you need to be in the best comfort that you can so you don't become exhausted as this is when accidents happen and as you can imagine, hooks do not usually take prisoners. Gloves are fine but over the day they soon become uncomfortable as they start to rub especially when you are pushing the hedge down by hand.

Hope that helps, if not then please give me a shout.

Best wishes.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE