Heads up, Julius Petterson back in stock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Hey you lot,...

thought you might be interested,...

came back into stock about an hour ago,...

22 of them,..well,..theres only 21 now,..:)

untitled by Raikey1, on Flickr

i,ve got some nice chunks of antler put aside for mine

no association with the compannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZ yawn,...

Cheers

Stu,...

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
Got one a few months ago. I had problems getting decent reindeer antler but managed to get some in the end. The first lot started to show the core pretty much as soon as I started sanding. The knife is complete, made a Sami South sheath and am in the process of making a Sami North sheath.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Got one a few months ago. I had problems getting decent reindeer antler but managed to get some in the end. The first lot started to show the core pretty much as soon as I started sanding. The knife is complete, made a Sami South sheath and am in the process of making a Sami North sheath.

pics dude!!!

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
I would, but for some reason I can't at the moment, I get a square box instead:

BCUKPhotos

I've had a look at the instructions in the how to area and I'm doing it right and I've posted photos in the past :dunno:

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
OK, sussed it

The knife handle is reindeer antler, leather spacers and elm. I made a wooden liner for the sheath which is 3mm veg tan with just a bit of boot polish and beeswax. The Sami North sheath is a pile of bits at the moment that need shaping and assembling.

IMGP4759.JPG

IMGP4763.JPG

IMGP4758.JPG

IMGP4764.JPG

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice enough but rather overpriced really

£40 for a hand forged knife blank is overpriced?

I know of plenty of examples of knife blanks from makers on here and other forums that cost similar or even a lot more and they're stock removal so I personally think that the JP is a bargain

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Small price to pay for a lot of someones time and skill. I bet it takes some "beating" literally to come up with a lovely product like that for the cash.

Lovely finish job on that Mark.

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
£40 for a hand forged knife blank is overpriced?

I know of plenty of examples of knife blanks from makers on here and other forums that cost similar or even a lot more and they're stock removal so I personally think that the JP is a bargain

exactly,...well said!

I make the O1 stuff myself,....i draw a shape on it and cut it out with a hacksaw ,...

i dont think i could i could forge summat as good as this,......

so i paid 40 pounds for a Swedish bloke to do it for me,....

i had my car serviced the other day,....

the garage used a laptop to diagnose a fuel delivery issue,....

and charged 90 pounds an hour to do it,....

i gladly paid it,....what else would i have done?,......hit the injector rail with a piece of wood???,..

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
OK, sussed it

The knife handle is reindeer antler, leather spacers and elm. I made a wooden liner for the sheath which is 3mm veg tan with just a bit of boot polish and beeswax. The Sami North sheath is a pile of bits at the moment that need shaping and assembling.

IMGP4759.JPG

IMGP4763.JPG

IMGP4758.JPG

IMGP4764.JPG

Now I do like that one a lot

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
Thanks guys, this is the 2nd stick tang knife I've made - the first was a cheap kit to practice with before making this one. Learnt lots making the first one. This one's not perfect but that's a combination of still learning and using natural materials.

For me £40 is not that much when you compare it to the cost of some of blades on a well known Finnish site, plus the postage to UK.

Much as I would love to but, unfortunately, making my own blades is not really an option at the moment - I'll upset too many neighbours with noise, smell etc.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
right then,..lol...

the blade arrived,.i,ve been having a little mess,...

i want a clean line to this one,...

so i,m going with something like the below,...

IMG00391-20120218-2005 by Raikey1, on Flickr

from the blade i,m planning,..

1mm stainless,

leather,

1mm stainless,

antler,

1mm stainless,

leather,

1mm stainless,

birch wood of some sort.

any suggestions are welcome,...and i'll keep this rolling with progress pics,....

ta

Stu,...

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
First of all we need some other feedbacks on the blade itself, I suppose. Steel's grain, how is the lamination line, sharpness, grinded to zero or wih mircobevel etc ;)

Speaking of the handle try this shape, but also a barrell handle one. Make a cardboard tempalte to get a hint of how that will feel in the hand.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
First of all we need some other feedbacks on the blade itself, I suppose. Steel's grain, how is the lamination line, sharpness, grinded to zero or wih mircobevel etc ;)

Speaking of the handle try this shape, but also a barrell handle one. Make a cardboard tempalte to get a hint of how that will feel in the hand.

I think you want british blades home of the true knife geek!:D :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE