Heads up - Aldi (20/12/09) "Dutch Oven"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
le creuset pans are double the price of these like rik said so if you are after one of these i would defently go for the aldi ones:)

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
if it was a long trek obviously you would not lug it around, but if you are going for a 3 nighter there is nothing beta than a nice stew you got to remember every one does diffrent sorts of camping ,sometimes the walk to your base could only be 10 mins from the car etc etc

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
cheers for the headsup! i'll be grabbing a bit methinks, that there pestle and mortar could use a home too methinks, been doing alot more with home blended spices etc and need something more then the flat of a blade for it.

edit: OOH! bonsai tree's!

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I'm with you and smudge on this one, I dont see the big fascination and why you would lug one around. Anyone?

if it was a long trek obviously you would not lug it around, but if you are going for a 3 nighter there is nothing beta than a nice stew you got to remember every one does diffrent sorts of camping ,sometimes the walk to your base could only be 10 mins from the car etc etc

I saw a couple of the guys out the last trip out use cast iron dutch ovens. I agree for an over nighter with a long walk in they are probably a bit heavy but if you are going to be camped for a couple of days these really are a great piece of kit to have.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
cheers for the headsup! i'll be grabbing a bit methinks, that there pestle and mortar could use a home too methinks, been doing alot more with home blended spices etc and need something more then the flat of a blade for it.

edit: OOH! bonsai tree's!

If you miss out on a pestle and mortar, then try and get to ikea they do one for about a fiver and its a good one.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
If you miss out on a pestle and mortar, then try and get to ikea they do one for about a fiver and its a good one.

Thanks but as a rule i cannot actually enter an Ikea store.

if i'm ever lost in the woods, i walk until i find the edge or i just enjoy the tree's
i cannot do this with ikea, in fact having to get around there just freaks me out, i get all twitchy and have once hyperventilated i get that trapped feeling on a huge scale, not claustrophobia as i'll happily cram myself into somewhere small, but i just... i dunno i really freak out in that place..

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
lmao melonfish...

Someone who shares my thoughts ref IKEA.. It the one Swedish thing I dont like!! lol

I was looking at these pans the other day and thought they looked great value for the money. Alas I recently bought a Coleman cook set in heavy (ish) steel so will have to give this some welly first.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
It rather depends on how you define the word bushcraft. If you're backpacking into the backcountry then it goes without saying that you're not going to carry a cast camp oven. BTW these are kitchen pots not camp ovens, a passing similarity perhaps but not interchangeable.

On the other hand if your going out into the bush say in a vehicle and you'll be cooking using fire not stoves, and there is a few of you then a good camp oven is invaluable.

I have a couple of cast iron ones and recently took delivery of some spun steel ones from southern metal spinners in OZ. These are much lighter and excellent quality, I will try for a review before I go back to work at the end of January

Stephen

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have had one of these for a couple of years - be aware that the plastic handle on the lid is NOT, repeat NOT, oven proof! Suggest you remove it and then replace it with a wire loop or something.

First time I used it, it cooked fine but bubbles appeared on the top of the handle and the oven stank of burning plastic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE