hazlenut picking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hi
just a quick(ish) question, there are millions of hazlenut trees in a local wood and obviously by now there are millions of hazlenuts to accompany them. However, at what stage in their growth/colour should I pick them?

Equally, although food for free provides one recipe for hazlenuts, does any know of any other good ones.

Thanks,

woodwalker

kaoss

May 8, 2006
Manchester
I usually pick them when they are just turning brown and keep them about a month to dry.
Then eat them all year till next years harvest

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you take any just now (well round here anyway) they're just soft and milky and won't keep. Nice for a snack though. It's been so dry this year that some of them are kind of withered inside :(

Cheers,
Toddy

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
When they are ready they slip out of their husks quite easily,just wiggle them and if the nut moves about in the husk then you can take it they are ready for collecting. Me and my mate when we were kids used to pick hundreds of hazelnuts then scoff the lot. You just can't beat the taste of fresh picked hazels.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
got a bumper load of hazels on some cultivar trees in a hedge at my work. i'm gonna net them to keep the squiggles off and then gorge myself when they are ready. honestly, there is thousands. ive never seen anything like it in scotland before.

it must be the heat, it seems all the nutting trees are heavily loaded this year.

I had two hazelnut-based events that have left me scarred. The first was in Germany, when I was in the army. The unit I was with shared a base with a Canadian Regiment. We had a lovely time. The camp was covered with fruit bushes and hazels (plus other nuts), due to it's having been an 3rd Reich Army camp. Those guys liked to be self sufficient. Late summer and autumn there was terrific. Turned me on to wild food, anyway.
Time came when the Canadians went home, and a British Armoured Brigade moved in. Their Brigadier insisted on all the trees on the camp being cut down. Did not leave a sodding twig. Claimed that it would give an attacking enemy cover and we would have a clear field of fire. (Never mind about our cover or a putative enemies field of fire, these concepts probably never got covered in Brigadier school!) And thus ended my nutting days. :(

My second horror story comes about 20 years later in Cumbria, where I worked as a nurse. I spent a whole summer watching a five or so mile stretch of hazel hedge develop on a back road short cut. Plenty of nuts developing and damn my mouth was watering. Come September when I went back for them... Some goon had gone down both sides of the lane with a flail cutter. The leaves and twigs were still scattered on the lane. :lmao: AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Picked up a dozen or so yesterday and most were empty just a shrivelled up shell in side ? be some hungay squirells this year then ? ilan :rolleyes:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
sanslr109 said:
most of the nuts are droppoing off without being ready on the trees where i work

Same round here, they all seem to be dropping early

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Gents,

Are they dropping in clusters - with the husks on? If so they aren't dropping - thats squirrel sign (still - you can eat them too)

Red

I just read that it is best to leave the nuts until late September to pick, that way they are good and ripe and they won't have all been got by the squirells and jays (I guess the book was written when there were one or two more jays about).

Having said that, there is a grocer in the local town that is selling them for £2.80 a pound right now!

Hmmm, I might just enter that 100 litre rucksack and head to the woods.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Fenlander said:
Be aware! The trees here WERE loaded with nuts, but over the last two weeks the local wildlife has emptied them :( Still, they need them more than I do ;)

Spot on observation!

The down platform at Lenham Station was littered with the debris from hazelnut-munching fauna when my train drew in on Monday morning. This is also a bumper year for the Sloe and *Bullace.

*Note: For those who are unsure the Bullace differs from the Sloe in having brown bark, the branches straight and only a few of them ending in spines, the leaves larger, broader, more coarsely toothed, and downy on the underside. The flowers, too, have broader petals, and the fruit – which may be black or yellow – droops, and is about three-quarters of an inch in diameter.

Cheers

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Got a couple of Bullace in the garden. Not quite ready yet. Had a few the other day but they need a bit more sun. When they do ripen you need to be quick to gather them, they seem to drop almost as soon as they are ready. They'll darken off quite quickly when theyr're near ripe. Very sweet though !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE