Hawthorn wine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Canis_Lupus

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
I've just finished bottling a batch of hawthorn berry wine from earlier this year (kept a few in the freezer from last year). Does anyone else make this? It is easily one of my favourite country wines and there is never anyshortage of berries. I don't have any pictures of the process but my recipe usually runs along the lines of: 1-2 kgs hawthorn berries, 200gm raisins, white grape juice concentrate, 1 gallon of water and adjust the SG to about 1080 with additional sugar. I use pectolase to help it clear and find that about 2-3 rackings with a fining agent will ensure it does clear.

Gj9VNwh.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Raisins and grape juice concentrate is a lot of vinosity! I assume you use the pectic enzyme during initial infusion?

To answer your question it a new one on me - I do make many hedgerow wines and meads (plenty of threads on here with my recipes), but not tried Hawthorn - yet!

Canis_Lupus

Mar 23, 2014
Ireland
Yes you are right and there probably is no need for the raisins I'm sure - pectic enzyme at the initial stage and then again later (although as to its effectiveness at the later stage I don't know. I highly recommend the hawthorn wine, its flavour is quite unique.

I am familiar with your tutorials and must thank you for them - I have your sack mead currently ageing as we speak!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE