Having a quick brew up in the woods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Yesterday afternoon I took a nice stroll into a local woods. For the first time I can say that I made a quick and efficient fire and enjoyed a nice cuppa.

I'm not the best at tree identification, but I think it was Ash that I used. It was standing, long dead and almost to the point of rotting where it gets powdery. It split lovely with my small hand axe and was extremely dry even in this wet weather we've been having down in Norfolk.

Do any of you guys often just go for a walk and make a brew?

Any tips on the types of wood I should use in future would be greatly appreciated. I need something that makes good embers because I never bother suspending my pots, I place them straight on.
Thankyou.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Any tips on the types of wood I should use in future would be greatly appreciated. I need something that makes good embers because I never bother suspending my pots, I place them straight on.
Thankyou.

I do it on the odd occasion and it's a great way to relax :)

As for woods that produce good embers go for the harder hardwoods like oak, beech, ash, hornbeam, hawthorn to name a few :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I like having a brew up but don't do it that often because of the hassle but I must do it ten times a day when we spend the night out.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I take a flask on short outings. On most of the access land around here naked flames are verboten anyhow.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i do it all the time and as i never get a chance to over night due to work and family its my little chill time, dont even bother with tea or coffee any more i just use pine needles, most refreshing and makes the wood time even better and even more natural....

as for wood i use what ever is around and dry, but i normally use my hobo stove or wood gas stove to avoid fire scar and risk of underground fire in pine woods. just where i go ATM other places i used fire as you do with no pot hanger and place my pot straight in the coals, i tend to find they die out though due to the lack of air, so i keep the fire going close to the s side of the pot to help boil it better.....;)

good job on getting a fire brew done, keep up the good work...:):):):)

regards.

chris.

Arjendude

Oct 13, 2013
Strijen, The Netherlands
I trie to do it every sunday when I take the dog out (or he me :confused:). Usually go to a nearby and most of all very quiet woodland. It's something people tend to forget, a little time for themselves

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm anti lighting a fire for a brew (sorry chaps and chapesses) so prefer a Thermos or a stove for a walk and brew sort of day out. Better still a half bottle of wine and some yummy snacks :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I tend to use a gas stove, maybe the Emberlit if I fancy the woodsmoke and relaxation, but it only eats small sticks. Very rarely, if ever, a fire just for a brew though.

If you don't want to wait hours for embers to form, use a couple of logs of Elm, Poplar or Willow with a gap for the flames to come up. Basically they're not great burning woods, so won't incinerate your pot, but will help to feed flames up and insulate your fire.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Any particular reason why? Time, effort, or the fact that you have to harvest good firewood and leave a burn scar on this ground? I don't like leaving a scar so I always light my fire under the ridge of a sandbank, the sort of place in the wood's that you'll often find a warren or fox den. Provides me with a nice brew and helps me keep track of Charlie. ;)

Today I showed a friend how easy it is to just go and "brew-up". I used a hexi stove, it was great and quick. I can see the reasoning why most of you guys prefer a stove. But for me I enjoy the ritual and learning process of different types of wood, wet and dry weather and the whole learning curve. You've gotta admit, bushcraft is an awesome hobby!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I'm fortunate enough to live in a cottage with 2 woodburners so keeping them going in the cooler months keeps me well acquainted with wood and wood burning. We have a kettle on the stove top for brews and flask filling!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Any particular reason why? Time, effort, or the fact that you have to harvest good firewood and leave a burn scar on this ground? I don't like leaving a scar so I always light my fire under the ridge of a sandbank, the sort of place in the wood's that you'll often find a warren or fox den. Provides me with a nice brew and helps me keep track of Charlie. ;)

Today I showed a friend how easy it is to just go and "brew-up". I used a hexi stove, it was great and quick. I can see the reasoning why most of you guys prefer a stove. But for me I enjoy the ritual and learning process of different types of wood, wet and dry weather and the whole learning curve. You've gotta admit, bushcraft is an awesome hobby!

i have some land of my own, but dependant of where you live, it's not always acceptable to fell stuff on someone else's land. Round here it's all Forestry Commission, National Trust, or privately owned with pheasant or deer shoots. Don't mind stopping and gathering some dry sticks, but it's not in my best interest to light a fire. Plus, a lightweight gas stove is just very efficient, albeit without the nice task of felling, splitting and lighting a fire.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon

i use it as get away time, i also like to try and get back to nature and the humans roots, the place where i do this i use a woodgas stove so no fire scar and it only uses small twigs so easy to do, no felling of trees, plenty enough laying around and hooked up in the tree branches from the wind. the location also has great historical roots and i find it comforting some how knowing that hundreds and maybe even thousands of years ago people where doing the same thing in the same way, the only difference is im containing my fire in a steel tin and im wearing modern clothes etc....

Mors (Kochanski) Pot steaming away on Imberlit stove. A handful of dried twigs and a couple thumb diameter sticks, plenty of fuel to boil a kettle. No burn scar, minimal ash, virtually smokeless fire, stainless steel stove folds flat for storage/transport.

IMG_0331_zpse07fa452.jpg

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Unless I was staying out overnight or at least for 10 hours plus it would not even occur to me to make a brew from scratch. Thermos flasks were invented to cover this task and so that is what I use albeit a more modern stainless steel one rather than the old glass type.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say not a fan of flasks for walking, (in general) feel that for the weight carried a stove/kettle will provide many more cuppas.

Always had a flask in the canoe - always a Stanley as they are the best/strongest/thermally efficient IMHO. As if you took a swim that instant heat of a hot drink could be important.

A Kelly fettle or wee gas/petrol/wood stove can be used in the Canadian but you have to be careful that it doesn't turn into a Viking funeral. :eek:

Must say that I'm a bit old school as I like a bottle of cold black tea for a walk in the summer.

But it's part of the day/time out; stopping for a brew and a hunk of fruit cake. Makes it for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE