Havelgen reborn - A leather boat project pt 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
In the spring of 2014, I was lucky enough to be part of a project to build and sail a leather & wooden stone-age boat on the west coast of Norway. The story of the original build and maiden voyage of Havelgen can be found here.

This year, the boat was passed to a new owner in Denmark, Martin Dannevang. The boat was dissassembled in order to be shipped to it's new land, so I was called in as one of the original builders, along with Børje Møster the original owner/builder, to check on the status of the boat, and help put everything back together and made shipshape as we are the only two who know all the little intricacies. My trusty sidekick Ryan had been helping me with a job in France a week previously so I called him up, asked if he wanted to fly to Denmark with me, and off we went the next day.

It was fascinating to see how the boat has fared after three years in the sea. The leather hull had taken on plenty of marine life with shells clinging everywhere under the water line, and there was the odd spot of mould here and there but she was still very much sea worthy. We decided to carefully strip/scrape the outer hull and give it a good oil from both sides, then adding a fresh layer of tar to the outside along the waterline and voila, good as new! The rest of the work was more reassembling everything in the correct order and just giving each piece some tlc before refitting.

1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
The elkskin hull after being in the sea for three years.

2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
Cleaning the hull and fixing some planking on the keel

3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
A little keel damage and some lac to remove from the hull

4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

5 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
Connecting the two hulls together via the platform beams and bent boughs for tensioning the outrigger.

6 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

7 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
Adding some additional planks to shore up the frame inside the hull.

8 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
a dry and well maintained bow after 3 years

9 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
fixing the keel damage

10 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
oiling, more oiling, and oiling again...

12 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
strategic planning...

15 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
fixing the spraydeck for the main hull

18 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
rigging ropes

19 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

20 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

22 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

23 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

24 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

25 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

26 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
refitting the restitched and oiled spraydeck

27 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

28 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
testing the main sail

29 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

31 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

32 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
Have a normal day!

33 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
A final celebration after getting Havelgen seaworthy again!

We look forward to seeing Havelgen sail the seas once again in the near future, and wonder what new adventures it will have.

If you would like to get involved with Havelgen, especially if you have any boat building or sailing experience, you can join the Facebook group Havelgen to learn more.

~Half-Goat~

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Amazing how well it's aged! The boat was far too shiny and clean on the original voyage!! A lot of times you see replicas of stuff but because they are newly built they look all wrong and its difficult to get a sense of what it would have looked like back in the day. So its great to see the boat in context! Ive always had an interest in boat building but never had the space to try it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Brilliant to see this fettled and ready to take on the Seven Seas again - it's worn remarkably well, eh? A testament to the original design and build.

Doesn't seem at all like three years ago that I was reading the first posts about this, what adventures will she now have?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Ahhh Hamish man, firstly i apologise for my tardiness in getting to reading and enjoying this thread and follow up, I wanted to be in a good head space and enjoy it properly, thankfully i just done that, thanks again for sharing this mate.

Your original thread documenting your trip where you all built this boat is without doubt hands down one of the most engaging and enjoyable things I have ever read on the internet, full stop.

Like we we're just discussing the other day about thread responses, to me stuff like this feels like it should be a 50 page discussion with everyone frothing at the mouth all doe eyed, alas 3 responses it must be the lack of knives and questions about what kit would be best :p

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Hey i am sure we will enjoy many future adventures, currently dreaming of making lots of new things, for some reason a hat and pants keeps jumping to the forefront of my maker brain, first project starts on thursday and it is a lot smaller than pants or a hat

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Amazing to see this.
I am struck by how much of an ongoing investment a boat like this would have been for an ancient community.

Z

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I find stuff like this amazing.
Super intersting project, one that is still progressing.
What happened to the keel?

The old people had a better understanding of materials, and a better design than we think and understand.
Also the way they treated the skins I am sure is more suitable for the purpose than "our" treatment.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I find stuff like this amazing.
Super intersting project, one that is still progressing.
What happened to the keel?

The old people had a better understanding of materials, and a better design than we think and understand.
Also the way they treated the skins I am sure is more suitable for the purpose than "our" treatment.

the keel had a little bit of damage from being moored at metal kais and a storm had blown the boat onto the shore the previous year. We just wrapped some leather around the damaged area and secured some wood either side to clap it all up as extra protection. it wasn't needed to be honest but better safe than sorry ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE