Have I loused up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I bought this Sailor's knife a couple of months ago. It had wooden scales and brass pins amd looked quite nice. On getting it home I figured out where the holes were for the lanyard loop so drilled through the wood so I could fit one. Having a little look at the tools I realised the marlin spike was a little loose and the pin was below flush with the scales. After investigating it seems that the steel rivets have been replaced with straight gauge brass pins and the wood scales added.

Does anyone know what I've bought? Is it worth trying to replace the rivets and rebuild it? Should I bin it, buy another and do my own scales?

SANY0814.jpg

SANY0816.jpg

SANY0818.jpg

Any advice much appreciated, any mick taking probably deserved!

red dreads

Nov 14, 2009
Eilean a Cheo
No I dont think you've loused up. The brass rod is pretty standard in all the knives I've made and can be replaced . Same as the slabs, you can easily replace them with new wood or horn or antler. Make sure the wood is stabilized. I use a good 2 part glue for handles. And just take your time and keep at it. Good luck

best regds Stevie

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
The hard bit's making the blades and getting the pins in the right place on a slip joint. Brazing rods make good brass pins and I'm finding that scales aren't as hard as I first thought. Have a go - what have you got to lose?

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Ben Trout
Cut the scales oversize then drill the holes where the pins are thru one scale then the other put a few of the new pins in and place one scale mark the outline one the scale then do the other scale. you can then cut the scales to the scribed marks epoxi in place install pins peen the pins and sand to the final shape.
I hope that is clear.
Good luck with your new knife.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Ben Trout
I just took a closer look at the picts. You might be better off leaving the old pins in and setting the oversized scales on the table laying the knife on the scales and using a light hammer tap the pins to mark position drilling the pin holes in the scales then epoxing the scales fileing them flush and finishing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE