Have I got too many knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I sold a lot of my knife collection a few months back as I thought it was a good idea to have just a few, but now I have a new addiction ummmmm Fiddleback forge knives :) I just cant say no to them

I am down to 3 fixed blades and 2 folders now, but I can see it growing again in the future

I have decided that trying to reduce my collection is pointless, better off just recycling(selling) ones you don't get much use from so you can buy other ones

Knife buying is addictive

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'm pretty small time myself - infact BB nearly banned me for only owning a dozen

2 fixed blades
2 slippies
2 lockers and
2 SAK's

its pretty much all i need but if i doubled the number I wouldn't stress about it...

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
I so far have 1 survival knife =p, I should really get a backup though, have a few multitools though. Hopefully someday ill catch up with your collection!

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Full tang, folders and multi tools and also a couple of machetes i had almost 100 but not im down to around 20 although there are a few im still waiting to trade on :)

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
Nahhhhhh that's no where near enough.

I think as long as you stick to a few that do that same thing then your ok, i can't see much point in owning say 10 bushcraft knives if they all do the same thing.

To my way of thinking you'd be better off selling all 10 and ordering a 1 off design off a proper craftsman.
That way you have something special PLUS it keeps these craftmen in jobs to teach the younger generation.

Imagine a day where there are no skilled custom knife manufacturers left in the UK.
Sounds far fetched but it happened with the bike industry then the car industry :(

Look like really nice knives, i considered ordering one a while ago, to be honest though the French names put me off :sad6:

Ended up commissioning Stu Mitchell to make one instead.

In English they are Trapper, Voyager etc and the names are not marked on the blade if that would sway any future thoughts, commissions to design are also happily made:D

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I've probably got around 30+ (although it's been a long time since I counted).

While I wouldn't consider myself a knife collector by any means, most of my interests over the years have included knives as part of the kit (bushcraft, camping, fishing, rock climbing, martial arts, kayaking, cooking) so have knives which are specific to and purchased for that activity.

The knives I use on a fairly regular basis though are my little gerber folder which lives next to my pc and gets used for 'home stuff' such as opening parcels, cutting paracord, anything really. After that would be my parang which gets used for bushcraft/camping as well as work parties for my fishing club. I also have a smallish Jack Pyke sheath knife for general bushcraft use.

When I met my wife, it took her a while to notice how many knives I actually had and, when she did, she was admittedly a tad uncomfortable. The solution...? I bought her one of her own, showed her how to use it and she's grown quite attached to it .

Some of my older knives I've now passed onto my kids so they each have their own folding knives as well as small sheath knives for camping. They also share a small parang type knife which they're learning to use. All of their knives though are locked in our safe to remove the temptation to use them without supervision or take them out to show friends (although they're still regularly warned). I've made sure though that they know the do & don'ts which they're reminded of each time they use them. If anything, they probably have less fascination about knives than kids that have less exposure to sharp stuff.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I think you need to use one knife and adapt it for different tasks instead of using many other knifes, this way you don;t have to spend so much money :p

I have 4 knifes

Mora Companion

Hultafors GK

Colt Tactical (Poor)

And a knife I made from an old hedge clipper.

Dazza76

Jun 28, 2011
South Wales
Nahhhhhh that's no where near enough.

I think as long as you stick to a few that do that same thing then your ok, i can't see much point in owning say 10 bushcraft knives if they all do the same thing.

To my way of thinking you'd be better off selling all 10 and ordering a 1 off design off a proper craftsman.
That way you have something special PLUS it keeps these craftmen in jobs to teach the younger generation.

Imagine a day where there are no skilled custom knife manufacturers left in the UK.
Sounds far fetched but it happened with the bike industry then the car industry :(

Look like really nice knives, i considered ordering one a while ago, to be honest though the French names put me off :sad6:

Ended up commissioning Stu Mitchell to make one instead.

I recently purchased a knife from Toby. It's the most beautiful knife I own and Toby was excellent throughout the process sending me regular updates and photos of the knife at various stages in its creation.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
As I recently wrote on another thread

palace
user-online.png
ForagerForager

Join DateMar 2011LocationNW London EnglandPosts142​

[h=2]
icon1.png
[/h]

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by norca
thanks for that guys so it seems that me blade is like a forerunner to the lofty wiseman or the chris caine tool ive re set the edge to a 0 scandi and its not bad think its possibly better than the cain and more affordable its a keeper

If it's a keeper, don't let it get lonely, as finances permit get more to compare, a man can never have enough sharp toys.​

John

experientia docet stultos.

Next week I am in my hammock surrounded by grand children & a friend and his children I am taking 12 knives and parang's + 10 axes for their continued education...

My friend a "Usual Suspect" has the finest Emerson collection I know of.

Last edited:

robertslondon

Jul 28, 2012
London
I'm relatively new to knife collecting.

I have found that it is so easy to convince yourself you need another one (which of course you normally do).

My first was Ben Orford Woodlander. From there it went a bit silly, although I've tried to keep them different in some way. In addition to the Woodlander I've now got:

A Ferraby bushcraft partial tang - lovely custom knife
Ben Orford Parang
Ben Orford Neck Knife (Become an Orford fan)
Fox Machete
Mora carving knife
Mora spoon knife
3.5" custom bushcraft from British Blades forum
Roselli Axe
Gerber multi tool
Laplander saw

The problem comes when you go camping. Taking them all adds a lot of weight and can be scary for other you bump into that don't share your hobby :D

As for keeping knowledge of the quantity and cost from my wife. Let's just say I have found it better to be economical with the truth :D

What is also funny is the amount and variety of sharpening equipment.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE