Has anyone...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Glad to know that I am not alone.

Now I can say without any shame, I sliced ma finger open in a forest (in romania) on a knife while carving:aargh4:.

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
The day I got my flex cut carving jack I opened the packet took out the u shaped chisel to see what it was... I now have a u shaped scar in the tip of my thumb

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Least likely event that springs to mind was someone on a spoon carving day I was on. She managed to stab herself in the backside while carving. Don't ask me, I can't work it out.

Cheers,
Leif

That wouldn't be arsenick Annie would it? :lmao:

Yep, cut myself a good 'un back in summer 2000. At a biker rally I slipped with my Leatherman tool cutting some cableties off a tent pole sliced into the back of my left thumb, partially severed the tendon. 4 hours in A&E geting internal stitches and external ones as well as a knuckle to mid forewarm plaster cast to immobilise it. 6 weeks in plaster, 2 months physiotherapy in total 2½ months off work, luckily I had sick pay to fall back on. The insult to injury is that I am a carpenter and should have known better than to have my hand in front of the blade. D'oh!

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Dont think its possible to of used a knife or any blade and never accidently cut yourself is it?

But yep, i have a couple of times. Have had penknives snap shut and cut the back of my fingers when i got a balisong knife the wrong way around.

Nothing thats needed stitches though.

Oh and i prefer to think of it as a learning experience/lesson... Unless i do the same mistake again haha

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I once stabbed myself in the thigh when using my Bushman's friend to prune a gooseberry bush round about the time my first son was born. He is now 43 and I still have the scar. I made sure I was present two years later at second son's birth to ensure normal delivery: no more gooseberry bushes for me! Mind you, I still have a scar on my hand where my wife bit me in the throes of childbirth. Who says men don't know the pain women go through!

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Did it last week, doing a mini 5cm canoe from the "little book of whittling" all is good until the hollowing out bit. At which point I couldn't think of a safe technique to do it. Quick trip to a and e and some superglue later, I don't think I'll try making one again. Te book even recommends using a swiss army knife!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Amateurs!

I managed to lacerate myself with the wood (seriously I did!) :)

Picked up a lump of tree trunk I was sectioning in the rain. Trunk was wet and slippery. At the bottom was the "hinge" from felling which had splintered during falling. The trunk slid in my hands, a spike of wood skated across the inside of my wrist and veins and up inside the sleeve of my chainsaw jacket. Wondered why water was running out of my jacket....and why it was red. No lasting harm but a couple of mil deeper would have been un funny

Hinge cut by British Red, on Flickr

countless times with knives when i was younger- including stabbing myself in my wrist right next to a major blood vessel...; fortunately nothing what required more then a bandaid!
once with a hatched on my left elbow...
a healthy-looking branch turned out to be hollowed-out by termites and my parang kept moving- fortunately i managed to slow it down and i only nicked the skin on my left shin!

I would like to join this club, please accept these photo's as evidence of my injuries.
Photo 1 is from the corner edge closest to the handle of my small forest axe! a small cut on my left thigh, don't ask how it happened.
Photo 2 was caused by my laplander jumping out of the wood as I was starting a cut, this happened about 45 mins ago lol.
1)
2013-07-16%2021.29.22.jpg

2)
2013-07-16%2021.29.45.jpg

So thats two of my blades that have cut me, only four more to go before they are all christened lol

I eagerly await all your finger pointing whilst laughing very loudly while I go find a plastic toy knife to play with

Will

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
These days not so much (he said touching wood).

When I was twelve or thirteen I was given my first proper knife for my birthday, a Puma 265. A few days later having spent the previous hour putting a nice edge on it I thought I'd try to split a hair, obviously I couldn't, so I held the hair out between thumb and forefinger and chopped it in half.

Only I didn't.

Instead I managed to remove about ninety percent of my thumbnail and a large part of the tip of my index finger. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE