Has anyone seen this before?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theknight

Been a very interesting thread to follow. And by the amount of the hits it has had, it is a thread close to many peoples hearts. It looks like a bit of a PR disaster, like all PR are campaigns, they start of well and with good intent. What people often over look is that old fashioned thing, called, the truth.

It is never wise to be dishonest as you will soon be caught out and discredited. I don't know if that is the case with the people involved but by the lack of feedback/contact from them, this may be the case and it doesn't help when one by one, the schools dwindle. There where some big names on the list which has enabled the site to bumble along for as long as it has. They have gone and credibility, went with them.

It doesn't look good for anyone concerned with this association. We all make mistakes and we can all suffer from naivety from time to time but as a potential customer, I would want to have a serious explanation from the Survival School, Jonny Crocket and Andrew Love Jones.

But I believe that they will be attending the Wilderness Gathering. We can ask them there what on earth is going on, perhaps the would have the courtesy to explain.

T

theknight

And another thing. I enquired about buying a Wetterlings axe from them so time back as it seemed a better option the having to pay extra for the GB name. I had an email from them saying that they no longer supplying them as they were inferior and they themselves, wouldn't put their name next to the brand and they were getting loads of complaints about them.....................they are now stocking them again!! :?:

I did get the Wetterlings that I wanted, I bought it from another company.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Tony

Did a named person sign the reply off or was that just it? :?:

I think someone somewhere is getting buried in the big hole their digging recently - I still stand by my original judgement on this.
Meglomania = a craving for or mental delusions of power.

Chris MISWBA ( I have recently jioned that womens bowling association in the States)

ps. Maddave can I apply for yours now - I'm on a roll :eek:):

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Tony said:
In reply I received this:

Hi Tony,
Fair questions.
...[snipped for brevity]... This was launched at the International Survival Symposium. I guess you weren't invited to that one either? Don't worry, not everybody can be invited to everything.
ISWBA

That last sentancer from them/him Tony, is an increadibly cheap, unprofessional and tacky response to a genuine enquiry.
So, the administrative contact for this organisation resorts to cheap shots and jibes - is it run by children?

Aside from avoiding all your questions, all he seems to have said is "it isn't me, I'm not responsible m'lud".

...this guy doesnt even have the balls to sign it with his real name, just ISWBA. Then he goes on to say he's just the domain owner - that's a matter of public record (look here http://www.whois.sc/iswba.com ). Is he saying that he doesnt process the applications? If he doesnt, who does?

Pah! Cowboy outfit!

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
This was launched at the International Survival Symposium. I guess you weren't invited to that one either?
curious to know who was invited lol, and even more curious to find out who was there
funny they didnt mention that?

I am not the initiator of the ISWBA. It is merely the ISIA with a change of title to encompass the Wilderness Bushcraft aspect, instead of it just being for Survival Instructors
I have been given names to put on the site. I am just a part of the set up, I can put your questions to the others involved and they will be able to provide more answers.
in other words "dont ask me i only work here"

then they have the gall to sign it

if it wasnt so pathetic it would be quite funny

Tant

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Tony said:
-l I guess you weren't invited to that one either? Don't worry, not everybody can be invited to everything.

A cheap dub, how professional……

Ah you got to see the funny side to this. It all comes out in the end,and all you done was dig for the truth.
:You_Rock_

Does anybody know what schools went to the International Survival Symposium?.
:naughty:

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
If you can remember back to a post on this thread about Survival School saying " we have HSE approval " on their homepage, well, now it say's " we have had a recent health and safety inspection " and their advice on the courses page used to say " make sure the company you use has HSE approval" , that now say's " has satisfactory health & safety provisions" :?:

Good advice, but why change it - Just the other wording about being members of a bogus association letting the unsuspecting customer think that some form of independant standards process is in operation to give them added reassurance that need's correcting now.

Not impressed :roll:

Chris

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Guys, the subject is the ISWBA, the survival school are probably behind the formation of that so discussion in that context is fine, let's try not to find fault in everything they do, even if it is very tempting.

I'm sure that any information about things to do with ISWBA would be useful. Who went to the International Survival Symposium, what was ISIA before it was changed to encompass the Wilderness Bushcraft aspect? I would have thought that if it was an organisation in existence before Jan that it would have had members, the buschraft aspect was an addition to the survival, so, where are the survival members that are long established in the association prior to Jan? The list only included a few organisations, of which just two are left.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
:roll: apologies, lost it for a minute there, this thread has incensed me and just wanted to blow the steam out.

As for all your questions I haven't got the foggiest clue about any of it, although this symposium has a contact , maybe a phone call or email to see about their involvement tommorow might clear things up.

I have had a thought though - sceptical me.

The symposium site does have a trade sponsers list ie, manufacturers not training schools, maybe survival school is acting on their behalf, having your product endorsed by a "professional" trade body allways looks good for manufacturers, the old chestnut of :-

".......... as used by x - international survival and bushcraft expert....." or

"..........as endorsed by the international survival and wilderness bushcraft association......"

Just a thought :biggthump

Chris

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
sorry if my opinions seem a little harsh,

did not mean to cause offence , just saying something looks very fishy about the whole thing

the lack of forthcoming information and general question dodging in the reply does nothing to encourage my confidence

please remeber it is just my opinion

feel free to delete it if you think my post too strong

tho in my defence i must say, part of the attraction of buscraft, camping, and the great outdoors is that it is a last reserve in modern life where certificates qualifications and all the heirarchies just dont mean anything. Any attempt to force bushcrafting in this direction is IMHO misplaced.

Tant

D

Doobs

Isn't the important thing the knowledge people/organisations impart to others, not the initials! So what if people need monikers behind their name. If people and organisations have useful things to say and don't dictate then whats to worry about?

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Thats quite true Doobs. Survival school had quite a good reputation for some skills. So why was it necessary to jeopardise it with what appears to be fictitious accreditation ?

Rich

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
Were these guys any good? I guess they plain got too greedy! Although it sadly reflects their contempt for their clients it is a very common mistake companys and organisations make.

It is often a lesson for us all, as my granpa used to say, 'you get greedy, you get gut rot!'

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is going off track again, the question is about the association :nono:

When it comes to the courses that the survival school run I have never heard complaints, their teaching etc should not be questioned. They seem to be survival orientated but do teach some bushcraft.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
AntarcticFire said:
International Survival Symposium? (http://www.iss04.co.uk/)

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of information on there, and from
first glance it seems to be military-orientated.

There are some interesting stories on the speakers section of the site.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Tony said:
This is going off track again, the question is about the association :nono:

When it comes to the courses that the survival school run I have never heard complaints, their teaching etc should not be questioned. They seem to be survival orientated but do teach some bushcraft.
I have done their weekend course. Definately bushcraft orientated rather than survival. Shelter building, fire by friction, knife sharpening, trapping and game preparation, etc. The weekend was well organised and all three instructors seemed to know their stuff. A good weekend.

I've also bought things from their website, fast efficient service.

Lets not confuse their courses or shop with this issue of the ISWBA

Jon.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This is what's great about the forum, real people can tell of their experiences...Thanks Jon. I've never done one of their courses, just spoken to quite a few people about them. Relating first hand experience is always the best :biggthump

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE