Hands free filming with a phone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
So i want to film a couple of hammocking vids. But i'v only got my phone to do it

Anyone got any cheap and nasty ideas for hands free filming (head mount maybe?) without buying any gadgets or owt like that?

Adam

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You got a head torch? Could jury rig something with that and duct tape maybe. Or lash it to a hiking pole with some shock cord for a mono pod type affair?

Look forward to the videos, I was thinking of doing something similar given the number of hammock related threads.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yeah tried the head torch and tape, didn't work too well
I need to be able to remove it to check its pointing the right way, then put it back in the same place to do the actual vid

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
headlamp.jpg
But with a phone! :D

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hmm could try the head torch strap then tape one part of a buckle to phone and one to your headband. Would have to use some card or something for stability but you'd get the quick release I guess.

aabc-039m-500x500.jpg

Couldn't remember what they're called hence the pic.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I know you were suggesting not buying anything but poundland is currently selling selfie sticks complete with the phone attachment thingie. Might be a good starting point for cobbling together some kind of mount (I've got one that screws onto a gorilla pod but they also sell a little telescopic tripod)

Can't remember how much they were though...:lmao:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Cheers men

Goatboy, as a long haired beardy bloke......not a chance mate :lmao:

Poundshop selfie stick combined with copper head's fastex buckle might be a winner

Little tripod is a good idea, but i could do with a first person view really

Last edited by a moderator:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
You might find it needs to be on your chest for a better angle
You could use the selfie stick holder and some webbing - or even webbing made from duct tape
it would be easy to review footage too

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you want to have it mounted on your head then specific mount like this would be good for your phone

If you go down the chest mounted route then this rig should do you

​Note, no affiliation weith either seller, just the first I found when searching for them

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
If you want to have it mounted on your head then specific mount like this would be good for your phone

If you go down the chest mounted route then this rig should do you

​Note, no affiliation weith either seller, just the first I found when searching for them

Although i do rather like the heath robinson approach, they are the dog's doodas. Ta very muchly
If i can find a uk seller i'll have one

Buckshot, i think you are right mate, chest mounted is the way to go

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For anyone interested my harness thing arrived today. Its pretty good to be fair, comfy to wear and holds the phone nice and secure
Plus you can see what you are filming

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE