Handles for billies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A while back I was putting a more easily packed handle on a Zebra billy and one of the excellent suggestions was to use bike brake cable.

I suggest a variation on theme having noticed how many surplus or with out keys lap top security cables there were floating around the offices I have visited.

The ones I have policed up are thicker than the bike stuff and have a clear plastic sleave. I may try leaving a section of that as a heat proof grip.

I just thought I'd mention it as a alternaive source of the wire rope.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This time I'm thinking of binding/whipping them with fuse wire although what I'd really like to do is splice them but thats beyond me. I should have got a old boss of mine to teach me as he was on barrage balloons in the last war and could splice wire rope with his eyes shut!

Those electricians connector thingies are probably the easiets thing to use.

ATB

Tom

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
You can always use small nut (as in nuts and bolts), just squash them with a pair of pliers. Or as I have done in the past, thin copper plate and wrap tightly around the wire rope.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
You can buy aluminum tubes that are just made for crimping wires together. I get mine at what we call "big box stores" here in the U.S. or at farm supply stores or just plain hardware stores. they are inexpensive and come in many sizes. They can be hammered together or flattened in a large vise. Or crimped with a special crimping tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE