Hammocks and Basha

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
i am looking for a gd quality hammock and basha because i have a tepee but would really like hammock and basha/tarp

does anyone know where to get one :AR15firin

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
this is now a huge area, check out some of the past threads, there are loads to choose from ones i can personally vouch for:

Hennassey hammock, (cant fault it fantastic, but expensive)
MOD (aka) sas/Arktis hammock/stretcher only good for emergency use no where near as comfy as civilian versions.

as for tarps:

i use a (genuine) british army basha DPM, it's huge and also can be used as a stretcher.

aussie type hootch are good and lightweight.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
You cant go wrong with the group buy hammocks, there excellent and very roomy and very reasonably priced. I had a nomad hammock which was little on the small side and i'm only 5'11".
I find the army tarps are a little small, especially with the large group buy hammocks which will stick out either end. There are some excellent Katmandu Treking tarps on ebay sold by a chap called bushcraft_uk i have a 2.5mx2.5m one but they do other sizes too.

JDilling

Jan 9, 2007
Connecticut, USA
The DPM mil and military spec Bashas are available from a lot of military surplus and supply dealers. If all else fails, search for basha shelter on eBay. You'll almost definetely find some. They generally run $40 to $50 (about 20 to 25 quid).

An outfit out of Florida, Stormsurge Outfitters and Supply, is also custom making tarps for $45 to $60, depending on the size.
http://www.stormsurgestore.com/inde...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=36

Jan 22, 2006
uk
i've been using a bush pod pro for years, ebay £18 - think they're £65ish new. well worth it. very large, literally seconds to put up, and big enough for two!
i'f i lost mine i'd make a new one - there's instructions on this site somewhere, that way you get exactly what you want for a great price.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
The group buy hammocks are excellent for the price.
They are long and wide so tall people can use them and you can get diagonal or cacoon yourself with the extra cloth. Or..., fold it over on the front to provide a stronger seat for sitting.
I use a tatonka tarp, polycotton 3x3m, It comes with strong guys and multiple guy points and is very strong.
Search for either and you'll find more, although the tarp is expensive i do believe you are getting what you pay for in this instance.
Hope this helps :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I agree about the group buy hammocks, and being a 6'2" fat :censored: I was more than happy with how comfortable they can be.

As mentioned earlier they can end up quite long and although my tarp is 3m long I have to be carfeul to make sure doesn't come in the ends, so I tend to keep my head end near the tree and use it as a sheild against driven rain.

I use a utility line under the tarp an hang my coat down over my feet end to provide a bit of extra cover at that end if it rains. :)

In the back of my mind I plan to cut some triangles of nylon that I can fit at each en of the basha to act as a storm shield. The sides would clip onto the existing eye holes and there would be a pocket along teh bottom with a bungee cord and hooks at each end to allow for the shape of the pitch and wind.

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
The group buy hammocks are over 7 foot long, so plenty of space. If you want a big lightweight tarp, try True North big tarp, 3x4.5m its great for the hammock, plenty of space when it rains

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE