Hammock, Pot-Hanger, Fire, Food & Beer!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Nothing special in comparison to some of the other beautiful photos in this section, but this was myself and a friend going out to a local wood so my friend could try out my hammock, he's got a bad back at the moment and he wanted to give it a go before we set off for the Summer Bushmoot, he'll be investing in one now :) We both setup a pot-hanger for the first time, we were pleased with the results.

The photos were taken on camera-phone, so I appologise for the poor quality, I forgot my digital camera :rolleyes:

1.jpg

Scott tries out my DD Hammock

2.jpg

Fire with pot-hanger and kettle on the brew. The log barrier was protecting the fire somewhat from a strong sideward wind.

3.jpg

Pot-hanger / Kettle

4.jpg

Y Shape support on the pot-hanger.

5.jpg

Pot-hanger

6.jpg

Kettle on the pot-hanger

7.jpg

Soup cooking on a new simple cooker.. an ikea utensil holder upside down, I used a angle-grinder to make a hole on one side to feed in fuel. Worked superb but the only downside was its a little unstable when stiring, im sure surrounding half the cooker in stones will solve that.

8.jpg

Me chilling in my hammock with a bottle of Mangers :D in my frigin element!

Also at the end of the evening on our way treking back through the woods, the wind was up and the tree's russling, so I thought it might have been an oppurtunity to walk quiet and keep an eye out for deer or other animals, I thought I saw a deer track earlier, anyway for a few seconds I had a badger pelting down the track towards me, litterally just a few foot infront of me, then he took off on another path. Havent seen a badger that close up in years!

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
very nice pics, im sure you had a top time

but you do know Magners is meant to be served with ICE don't you?

make that out of twigs and leaves and ill give you a knighthood myself!!!

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I might be missing something but wouldn't the hobo work better placed the other way up with tent pegs through the top holes for can/pot support? You would also get a better spread on the base and it wouldn't be so top heavy and if you need to move it you don't lose your fire - just my 2p's worth.

As a heads up certain branches of Woolworths are selling brushed stainless utencil holders that make fantastic hobos. I cut the fuel door for mine with a dremel fitted with the small cutting off disc and it worked a treat. I would be happy to post a pic - apologies for the slight hijack Nightwalker :eek:

Checked out your website - feel free to drop by my gym if you are ever in my neck of the woods ;)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
In Buckinghamshire and my gym is called surprise surprise 'SILVERBAX' (deliberately mispelt). I will stick a photo up of the hobo this evening :)

From one of my gym shirts
IMG_2012.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Bloomin' cider drinkers! :p

Looks like a nice day out there... also looks amazingly dry - lucky git... it's been nothing but wet here... still, that's only added to the "experience"...

Anyway, hobo stove idea looks good... I assume you have up-ended it because the tin you're warming didn't sit on the pegs? I'm sure you checked but for anyone else heating food in cans, beware the covering they put on the inside... it's some sort of plastic barrier to prevent the food coming in to contact with the metal... nasty.

I have to admit, never tried one of these little setups myself, they do look interesting. What fuel were you using and how long did it take to warm the tin?

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Bloomin' cider drinkers! :p

Looks like a nice day out there... also looks amazingly dry - lucky git... it's been nothing but wet here... still, that's only added to the "experience"...

Anyway, hobo stove idea looks good... I assume you have up-ended it because the tin you're warming didn't sit on the pegs? I'm sure you checked but for anyone else heating food in cans, beware the covering they put on the inside... it's some sort of plastic barrier to prevent the food coming in to contact with the metal... nasty.

I have to admit, never tried one of these little setups myself, they do look interesting. What fuel were you using and how long did it take to warm the tin?
Dry!? Noo, well almost!... it has been raining for like a month straight down here in Cornwall too, however that evening it held off so we went to spend the evening in the wood, with this wood small wood inparticular all the trees have rot and there's lots of dead stuff, and luckily there are a hell of a lot of stuff and twig-buddles caught up in the trees at about head-height, perfect for getting the fire going. Definatly one of the easiest fires I've ever lit that night :)

As for the tin, it was very effecient, heated up very quickly just as good as a hob and we fed it with small sticks which we had an absolute abundance of. Im gona slightly expand the hole to feed the fuel and that combined with two metal tent pegs will do a treat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE