hammock midge net question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
i'm about to make a midge net for my hammock, pod style with a bungee cord base entrance. but should i make it to sit outside the UQ, which may cause a cold spot where the bungee sits against me in the hammock. or make it so the UQ goes outside of it, which might be a pain for getting in and out and would leave a warm still space for the midges to wait in?

any thoughts?

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
i can't remember the name of the fabric, but i just went into a local shop and looked at several, the one i chose has a very fine hole size but i can still see through. it came with a channel already stitched down one edge and a weighted cord down the other.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd go outside, having it tucked behind the UQ will be a pain.

I like the ones with the circular zipped door, a bit trickier to make though.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
crosslandkelly
Will the Midges still be around when you need to use your underquilt?

possibly, the coldest i've been and the worst midges i've ever encountered were on the same day in glen sheil last august

i'll probably go with the outside, but may put some tabs on so i can hitch it higher on it's line to work well without an UQ.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
went on the outside in the end, i may yet add points to hitch it up when i've no UQ or stick support points to use it with a bivi bag (i'll just file that task away in the things to make and do list for now)
not the neatest job in the world, but midge proof and under £10 so can't complain. it adds a bit to the warmth as well, i was toasty last night.

DSC02405.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE