hammock insulation question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

capt.dunc

Forager
Oct 11, 2011
dundee
i've just stitched up my first hammock to try out, 2 poly cotton layers and open down one edge, and i'm wondering about part stitching the layers together at an angle to form a pocket for my carry mat exactly where i want it on the diagonal (to ensure it's always set right and doesn't move about if i squirm about in the night). is there any disadvantage to doing this?

i'm also busy button-holing a good blanket to attach slack around the outside as an under layer before folding over the top as a cover. can't wait to try it out :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds good to me, I suppose if your mat is big enough to give you the insulation you need then fixing it in place will be a bonus.

Not too much slack on that under layer otherwise you'll get cold spots

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Fixing it may well help, I'd be cautious about sewing holes in the hammock though for fear of weakening it.

A classic trick to keeping a pad in place is to put a few dots of silicon sealant on the mat. When its cured, it stops the pad moving around. I'd try this first before sewing a pad pocket.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's a good call too, I've just been adding a silicone grid to the inside of a slippy bivvy bag tonight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE