Gypsy well

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I was wondering if anyone on here has sourced water using this method when out and about on there travels. I plan to have a go myself and see how effective they are, but i thought i might ask first to see if anyone has had any experience using one.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Where I do most of my bushcrafting there is no rivers, springs or streams and the two ponds are miles from my campsite...so I either carry water in (most often) or use sip wells near firmly established puddles. They do work very well but I still advise you to boil the water before drinking and to be very aware of chemical polution/run off in the land and surrounding it.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
Where I do most of my bushcrafting there is no rivers, springs or streams and the two ponds are miles from my campsite...so I either carry water in (most often) or use sip wells near firmly established puddles. They do work very well but I still advise you to boil the water before drinking and to be very aware of chemical polution/run off in the land and surrounding it.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Spot on there Bam.

You can add grasses etc to act as an extra filter and remember to cover if left for anytime or you might find a dead rat in it come morning.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
i would love to use a gypsy well when im in the local wood the problem being i know the the water is about 3 meaters down would need a jcb and then that would one hell of a well :lmao:

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
stuart f said:
I was wondering if anyone on here has sourced water using this method when out and about on there travels. I plan to have a go myself and see how effective they are, but i thought i might ask first to see if anyone has had any experience using one.

What's a Gypsy Well have looked it up and cannot find out what it is ????????
MickT

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
It's a hole in a bit of boggy ground, layered with reeds/grass to filter the water that naturally seeps into the hole. Removes large particles, but needs boiling to make safe to drink.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE