Grohmann

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I've never owned one, but a friend purchased a kit over the summer. One of his favourite bush knives, excluding his Mora. The Grohmann D.H. Russel Knife is a Canadian Knife. Like Sweden is famous for the Mora, England for the Sheffield, and America for the Ka-bar. I like the design, the flowing shape reminds me of the Nessmuk.

Anyways, the Cold Steel Knife Company has adopted the design, and renamed it the "Canadian Belt Knife". They've also made a new, cheaper model of their Sisu, and have called it the Finn Bear.

Here's a link of an original Grohmann.... http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

Now, here's the new Cold Steel model...
http://www.coldsteel.com/20cbl.html

There's no question or comment with this topic, I just figured I'd show you guys my Canadian Pride... now I need to get a few originals :lmao: ...

Grohmann knives are spectacular I currently own the #4 model in Rosewood (Ibought it as a kit) and am soon sending it to the factory to be flat ground. I'm also looking at getting a boat or army style (#3 I think) in the army overlap sheath (the boat knife is apparently used extensivley used amongst canadian paratroops)

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
I've always heard the style refered to as the "Yukon Knife".

Knives of Alaska is also making a version of it now called the 'Yukon'. The blade is 3-3/4" and is made of D2 tool steel with various choices of handle materials.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/
Yukon.jpg

Grohmann's site has some great pictures.

dick12.jpg

dick10.jpg

elk1.jpg

dick5.jpg

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
mrostov said:
I've always heard the style refered to as the "Yukon Knife".

Knives of Alaska is also making a version of it now called the 'Yukon'. The blade is 3-3/4" and is made of D2 tool steel with various choices of handle materials.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/
Yukon.jpg

Grohmann's site has some great pictures.

dick12.jpg

dick10.jpg

elk1.jpg

dick5.jpg

Guess that shows that the Grohmann design is good.. two well known companies at least have duplicated them!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've had a large camper (the originol with a flat grind) for a number of years and although I have a draw full of small fixed blades I always end up using the Grohmann.

I've recently aquired a boat knife (mainly to try the originol grind, their carbon steel and get a flapped sheath), as a factory seconds. It took quite a wait but they came through in the end with a half price rosewood model. When it arrived I had trouble finding the flaw, a tiny chip on the wood, no worse than you'd get dropping it once! More noticeable was the "S" stamped into the blade but for half price I can stand that. It's a excellent knife and my only complaint is predictably the blade stains badly when cutting onions etc. I've not used it for serious woodcraft yet so can't comment on the pros and cons of the grind.

A mate in the US is ordering and forwarding for me (it's going to work out at about 25-27 quid that way) a flat grind trout and bird model as I tend to use the Large camper as a neck knife and I fancied trying something smaller/lighter.

Overall I prefer the Grohman knives over the Mora and other Scandi blades I have by a long way,

I really like the look of the Yukon model 1 but can't justify another knife, well not yet... ;-{D)

ATB

Tom

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
A Grohmann is on my list of purchases for some point in the future. I don't know whether I'd go for the Original or Boat versions, though. Old Jimbo likes his boat knife, I seem to recall.

If I don't go for a Grohmann it would probably be because I'd go for a BRKT Mini-Canadian instead - same general style philosophy, and therefore great looking too.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
mark a. said:
If I don't go for a Grohmann it would probably be because I'd go for a BRKT Mini-Canadian instead - same general style philosophy, and therefore great looking too.

In what way? I have both and they are very different knives, the BRKT being 1/4 the size of the Grohmann for starters.

I have a Grohmann boat knife and rate it highly, like Doc I use mine when I'm boating or near salt water and it preforms well. They represent great value for money, especially in kit form!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Just in the way that I could probably only justify one of the knives, not both! I appreciate that they're very different in reality.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if I did end up getting both. As you say, the Boat Knife kit is pretty good value for money.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The DH Russell belt knife pattern has always been a favorite of mine.

dhrussell_pattern1c.jpg

One thing I like about the Grohmann kits is you can add a little spacer material in the handle to widen it out a tad, making it a bit more comfy for hard carving.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
Is that a dall sheep? Nice size!

Pity about the "brooming" on one side of horn but otherwise a rather nice head. Note what looks like a left-hand Winchester 70 Featherweight that is probably – well almost certainly actually – in .270 as championed by none other than the great oudoor writer Jack O’Connor.

Oh yes, don't like the knife at all!

Cheers

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I do not like the look of the Grohmann offset handle. But when I tried one, I knew I had to get one. It deinitely feels better than it looks.

Another good point about the Boat knife is the sheath. I gave mine the 'cuir boille' treatment with hot beeswax as per Jimbo's website. The knife 'clicks' in as if it were a Kydex sheath - I don't worry about losing it if I tip the boat. Also, the leather becomes unaffected by immersion.

Also, unlike a Woodlore, the Grohmann is very good indeed in the kitchen. I take mine on holiday. Have you noticed how self-catering cottages never have a single sharp knife in the kitchen?

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Klenchblaize said:
Pity about the "brooming" on one side of horn but otherwise a rather nice head. Note what looks like a left-hand Winchester 70 Featherweight that is probably – well almost certainly actually – in .270 as championed by none other than the great oudoor writer Jack O’Connor.

Oh yes, don't like the knife at all!

Cheers

Looks like a nice gun, I prefer my 30-30 Winchester, but I moose hunt. If it's not rifle season, I prefer my 870 Magnum Remington Shotgun. Beauty of a sheep either way :cool: .

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I used a Grohamann #3 knife for years and years as my only bushcrafter. That was before I learned of Ray Mears, Scandanvian grinds and such. I really like the #3 for it's light weight, style and reliablity, very sturdy. I also have a #4 but have never used it, too big for my needs. I just keep it around.
My Grohmann is in stainless and while it holds a sharp edge, I find when it is in need of touch up, it is really difficult to sharpen. I have every stone, gadget and steel for sharpening and still it is a struggle to get the edge to my liking on the stainless steel. Must just be my method!
I always recommend the Grohmann #3 for people wanting a good belt knife that will do most outdoor tasks and no one that has taken that advise has ever complained about my recommendation. An excellent value.
I do prefer the Scandanavian grind knives like the Frost's and custom RM style knives, they are so easy to sharpen razor sharp and are well suited for bushcraft uses, being sturdy and fit the hand well. Nowadays I always carry my Stewart Marsh bush knife unless I don't intend on using a knife much, then I carry the Grohmann in my pack as an emergency blade because it is lighter to carry and I know I can count on it for any task.
If you haven't tried a Grohmann, definately give one a try, I think you will be pleased with the purchase.

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
I've never owned one, but a friend purchased a kit over the summer. One of his favourite bush knives, excluding his Mora. The Grohmann D.H. Russel Knife is a Canadian Knife. Like Sweden is famous for the Mora, England for the Sheffield, and America for the Ka-bar. I like the design, the flowing shape reminds me of the Nessmuk.

Anyways, the Cold Steel Knife Company has adopted the design, and renamed it the "Canadian Belt Knife". They've also made a new, cheaper model of their Sisu, and have called it the Finn Bear.

Here's a link of an original Grohmann.... http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

Now, here's the new Cold Steel model...
http://www.coldsteel.com/20cbl.html

There's no question or comment with this topic, I just figured I'd show you guys my Canadian Pride... now I need to get a few originals :lmao: ...

Looking at their site they seem to have some other knives that are remarkably similar to those made by other companies.I won't say copy perhaps cold steel came to some sort agreement with the oridginal manufactures.

For example the original okapi knife

http://ragweedforge.com/okapi.jpg

The cold steel kudu

http://www.coldsteel.com/20k.html

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
For a manufacturer suggested retail price of only US$17 and a weight of only 2.2oz (62.4g) I'd be real curious to see just how good Cold Steel's copy of Grohmann's knife really is. They say their steel is 4116 Krupp stainless which sounds a lot like what Grohmann makes their blades out of.

A quick google search turned up a low price on this knife here in the States at US$10.89. That's about 5.5 British pounds.

http://www.dadsknifeshop.com/pd_cold_steel_knives_canadian.cfm?XID=1&TID=1

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've got the boat knife, bought from a kit and its a fantastic knife to use for food prep, skinning etc. I don't find it much good for carving or wood work. The handle thins too much near the blade, making it slightly more difficult to put pressure downwards, it also then starts to rub here. I'm tempted to take the handle off and replace it at some point and see if that improves this part.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE