Grohmann #1: Lanyard loop or not????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
Need some advice from the group.....I stumbled across a Grohmann #1 kit for $20 US dollars and couldn't pass it up. It comes predrilled and set up for three small brass rivets to join the handle slabs together (although I intend to epoxy the handles on as well just for assurance). Question is, do I drill out back rivet hole in the wooden handle slabs for a 5/16" brass bushing so that I can add a loop of leather as a knife lanyard? Does anyone find them especially useful? I've never put one on any of my knives before and was wondering if they tend to get in the way or provide some special, needed purpose that's escaped me until now.

I'm anxious to get started on the kit but decided to wait until I've thought out this aspect. I'll be interested to hear the opinions of the group!

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Good question and well worth waiting to see what others have to say. I like the look of a lanyard but just can't get on with them, they do however assist with removing knife from sheath. I would still have the bush though so you have both options.
P@ul

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I personally hate lanyards, they just get in the way and snag on undergrowth.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I agree with Snufkin in that I don't like having a lanyard on a knife for a number of reasons. Firstly there is the chance that it will snag on undergrowth, briars and the like, possibly pulling the knife from the sheath, and secondly because I very rarely use a knife in a situation where the lanyard would be of much practical use. I've always seen them as a good thing for those on board boats where a dropped knife could so easily slide overboard and be lost, or perhaps if you were working up a tree or cliff face where any dropped knife would land well out of reach. In all but the most extreme of cases even if I was up a tree or a cliff I think I'd rather have the knife fall away from me rather than potentially swing round on a lanyard around my wrist and come towards me if I dropped it. In the same situation, I'd like to be able to "jettison" the knife if I were to slip or fall rather than have it attached to me.
None of this means that a nicely made and well positioned lanyard hole cannot look good on a knife, in fact some knives that have them would, in my opinion, look rather odd without them. There's nothing to stop you from putting the lanyard hole on the knife if it's designed to have one, it's just that I'd not actually use it for a lanyard very often.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
retrohiker said:
Need some advice from the group.....I stumbled across a Grohmann #1 kit for $20 US dollars and couldn't pass it up. It comes predrilled and set up for three small brass rivets to join the handle slabs together (although I intend to epoxy the handles on as well just for assurance). Question is, do I drill out back rivet hole in the wooden handle slabs for a 5/16" brass bushing so that I can add a loop of leather as a knife lanyard? Does anyone find them especially useful? I've never put one on any of my knives before and was wondering if they tend to get in the way or provide some special, needed purpose that's escaped me until now.

I'm anxious to get started on the kit but decided to wait until I've thought out this aspect. I'll be interested to hear the opinions of the group!

I put one of those kits together and I drilled out the hole and put a tube in for a lanyard. If you do that, you will have to epoxy the tube in (might as well epoxy the scales at the same time). Otherwise you can put the kit together without expoxy. Another touch worth considering: I put some spacer material behind the scales to give me a tad wider handle. Adds to the looks too, imo.

The Grohman rides in a deep pouch. I find a short lanyard pretty handy for removing the knife.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
like others have said it depends what your doing i live on the coast n by the lakes
so i like them- lots of stones for it to fall on- i never walk about with it "out"
so i sould'it fall on to it- it's good to have the hole even if ya don't use it
karl

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I flair the tubing either with a plumbing flair tool or with a center punch lightly driven into the tubing. If you want to leave off the glue this is strong enough to hold. But I always glue anyway. Like to wear a belt with suspenders. :lmao:

I keep a couple lanyards tied to my sheath so I can slip one through the tube and back through the protruding loop then pulled tight. That way I don't snag on branches or have it in the way when I don' need it. But in matter of seconds I have a secure hold for extreme work or in slippery situations.

On larger knives the lanyard is useful to extend your reach for more leverage in chopping or to slip up on your arm to hold the far end if you are using the tip for delicate work.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aaah - I'm the only lanyard user then. I use a fairly tight wrist lanyard which I find useful in the chest grip, I also use it as a safety brake when boring with the tip

Red

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I don't use them very often but it's nice to have the option so i usually put one in a piece of tube if i can.
I only use a lanyard when working at heights or around water.

There was a BCUK group buy a while ago for the Grohmann kits (can't remember the model) and they turned out to be pretty good.

I added red liners to mine and epoxied the scales just to be sure.
419_1958crop_1.jpg

419_1954_1.jpg

I wet formed and dyed the sheath.

419_1951_1.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Until yesterday I would have argued strongly for a lanyard. Yesterday may lanyard snagged on something and jerked the knife backwards out of my grip. Yesterday I sliced a finger - not too badly as my automatic reaction to the tug was to drop the knife. Yesterday I cut off the lanyards/wristloops that were on my field knives (lanyards on canoe rescue knives as I will keep as I would rather get cut than lose my knife while held underwater by a rope or snag!) Today I only fix a lanyard to my knife if It is being used where a drop would mean its loss or damage. Today I rest as I dant think I can hold a blade well enuf to carve - thanks to a dressing on one finger!
Older and wiser!
John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE