grey squirrel cull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Do you agree with the widespread cull of GREY squirrels

• Yes

Votes: 303 91.5%
  • No

Votes: 28 8.5%

• Total voters

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The American Red Squirrel, the fox squirrel and the eastern gray squirrel are three different species. The binomial names are...

American Red = Tamiasciurus hudsonicus

Fox = Sciurus niger

Gray = Sciurus carolinesis

Gordy

I'm gonna have to look these up. Thanks Gordy. We're taught in the Gulf South that Fox and Red Squirrels are the same. Kinda like the way their just figuring out that the Florida Panther isn't really a seperate species from cougars like they used to believe but rather is an isolated subset that will benefit from the infusion of Texas cougar genes. This one is new to me. Do you have any info on the status of the Flying Squirrel?

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just looked them all up on Wikipedia Gordy. Now I know why I had never heard of American Reds being seperate from Fox Squirrels. It looks like the American Red's range is limited to Canada and the Northern tier states.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Do you have any info on the status of the Flying Squirrel?
Not real data, you have sparked my intrest further on the flying squirrel, thanks. I have witnessed three flying squirrels here on my property in the last four years. One, my cat quickly darted into the house holding by the scruff of the neck. I am happy to say I was able to release it unharmed. They are a rare treat to see glide from one tree to another. We also have eastern chipmunks (Tamias striatus) here in my woods. They are fast little critters.

Gordy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not real data, you have sparked my intrest further on the flying squirrel, thanks. I have witnessed three flying squirrels here on my property in the last four years. One, my cat quickly darted into the house holding by the scruff of the neck. I am happy to say I was able to release it unharmed. They are a rare treat to see glide from one tree to another. We also have eastern chipmunks (Tamias striatus) here in my woods. They are fast little critters.

Gordy

I'd love to see the chipmunk, Eastern or Western. I didn't realize we even had them in the East.

psm4

Feb 11, 2011
barnsley
Hugh Fearnley Whitingstall has already covered this on his progs. Forrestry chap catching and killing one for him to make a banquet out of, wee, several in fact!

yeh, remember this, it was squirell on a stick marinated and barbecued , it was cage-trap caught and humanely dispatched before eaten,these are very easly killed with a pcp gun

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE