Greetings from Normandy, France.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey Nick,
Shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as you're not in any immediate rush for it. It'll give me an excuse to go out that way for a ride on the bike, I'd prefer to wait for a warm sunny day though. PM me all the details so I have them to hand. Gimme a couple of months and I'll do my best.

The Vets over here are really appreciated each rgion has it's favourites The Canadiens are welcomed in some places, brits in other, yanks in thier etc.

I had the privilege of meeting several when I rode up to the D-day beaches June 6th for the 65th year commemoration last year. Massive gathering and formal ceremonies at Arromanche, with vintage military vehicles on the beach. Hundreds of people cramming the streets and lots in military uniforms, the vets proudly wearing their medals were treated like celebrities. It was an amazing atmosphere.

We had the Lancaster, and two Spitfires thunder over which actually brought a lump to my throat.

The only downer of the day was that it started to rain and for some reason all the roads were suddenly shut off. No cars were allowed in or out. It was total gridlock except for one main road. The rain got heavier and people got wetter hunched under whatever shelter they could find. Finally I found a cop and asked what the big deal was. Seems thier Highnesses Brown and Teacozy were dropping by in heated limousines with maximum security and outriders along to make sure they were pampered enough. Meanwhile veterans pushing 85+ years of age were left stranded in the pouring rain, some in wheelchairs unable to get to their coaches or hotels.

To say I was livid is an understatement. It left a very bitter taste in my mouth for an otherwise memorable day.

I don't think I've seen so many Willy's jeeps in one place! Took loads of pictures that day too.

Anyway Nick, send me the info via a PM.

I think what you've done for the memory of your Father is just great, I'm sure he would be proud of that. I'll say Hi from you when I get up there. OK?

Aaron.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Aaron

Thanks for that - and no rush.
I spread my dads ashes on the 5th - which is when all the airborne ceremonies happen around Le Mesnil and I was planning a ride to the beaches on the 6th when the wiring loom on my k1100 decided to catch fire just as I rode into Troarn. my recovery didnt work in france and I was hanging around looking for inspiration when I caught sight of a bloke i work with eating in a hotel there - we had a good look and decided it was unfixable so started to think how to get the bike to ouistreham for the ferry, saw some Brit reenactors in airborne clothes, turns out one of them is an old mate (what are the chances) so they loaded the bike onto a Dodge weapons carrier and drove it to the docks for me. Ergo I missed that little traffic jam and still havent seen the beaches. I was toying with the idea of going this year as well but hotels get stupid expensive at that time and i cant find the cash. May contemplate riding over and wild camping somewhere but not sure of the legal ramifications - need to think it through.
PM with details on its way

Cheers
Nick

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Yeah I'd be up for a meet, I actually sold the bike though to finance a 2CV 4x4 which I will eventually get built up, once I get bits of it over from the UK.

Good luck with the mayor, I've never managed to find out about wild-camping, right to roam etc,

Looks very nice in Swiss Normand, and a little bit more French than Brittany, if that makes any sense.

Think we had more snow though.

4385593820_5a1abc4b65.jpg

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey Alex that snow was in June last year :D

Seriously tough we had about 7 inches of the stuff but it did drift a lot. Not as bad as some places though.

a 2CV 4x4????? What the heck is that whan it's at home?

Yeah Normandy, at least this part is very pretty, bit more hilly than I was used to in Kent but close enough to be comfortably familier.

Our "Monsieur Le Mayor" is a nice bloke, new and keen on seeing changes are brought about for the best for the village. He's the type that if he doesn't know he'll do his best to find out.

Right to roam is a bit too casual here I imagine, in some respects it's a good thing but I doubt I'd like to try it in hunting season. I'd imagine some over-zealous trigger-happy hunter would think he was about to bag a nice fat Sanglier and shoot my a*** off!

I do go out on long walks up and down dale with the dog but always on well beaten paths.

Glad you're up for a meet sometime soon. Let's make it when the warm weather gets here eh?

Catch ya later.

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
2CV 4x4????? What the heck is that whan it's at home?

This

2476196713_5a77fec49b_b.jpg

is a 2CV 4x4, it's a conversion made by a guy called Louis Barbour, he's been doing them for years. It keeps the standard engine but adds a transfer box. They're sold as kits engine, box, and rolling chassis, ready to bodied with your existing 2CV shell I got hold of the one in the picture over winter from some Belgians who were looking to homologate it in France, and it's truly amazing off-road it just skips about.

Here's a bunch of them messing about in the mud in France.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szx9JsTF_5U

Touch wood, my chassis should appear late spring, then it'll be a question of getting it built up and registered in time for summer, Can't wait.

Right to roam is a bit too casual here I imagine, in some respects it's a good thing but I doubt I'd like to try it in hunting season. I'd imagine some over-zealous trigger-happy hunter would think he was about to bag a nice fat Sanglier and shoot my a*** off!

That's why I tend to wander round the forests in my hi-vis vest out of the car. I feel a bit of a prat, but better that than feeling buckshot. You can get high-vis dog jackets too, might be something to think about. Huntin', shootin' and fishin' shops sell them.

Be great to have a meet when this bloody east wind stops blowing, it's freezing my a**e off, and the sun's so tempting. Your woods or mine?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE