Green manure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Looking at green manure for my clay soil. I'm planting wizard beans but I've read grazing rye ( i think).to keep the weds down???
I've heard good and bad about this?
I was toying with idea of a heavy straw mulch to do the same job???
Any thoughts?
D

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
There was a mention of planting buckwheat in the Square Foot Gardening book. Might look for it to get more info.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mulches work. Today my buddy, our wives and I shovelled up 20 cubic metres of wood chip from a tree extraction site. Hot sweaty work. My half will go on the gooseberry bed 6" thick. Over three years it will rot to nothing (suppressing weeds for three years). I have done this for five years on our herb bed, never dug it. The soil is like fruit cake - dark, rich, soft, fertile.

Good old horse muck works too. The new neighbours the four of us sorted thirty trees for are horse trainers who were wondering how to get rid of the manure. We solved that problem for them :)

We have put several inches of manure on our veg beds for years in the Autumn - rotovating it in for spring. I'm amazed how much the soil can take - but it pays dividends for sure.

If you do want to go green manure - try clover - great, fast growing, nitrogen fixing, ground covering, simple to turn in.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ok thanks for that .
I've got access to we'll rotted horse muck and a trailer ☺
My friend is an arborist so wood chips not a problem...I'm guessing you don't manure root beds??
I'm going to try the field beans Hugh plus mulch. ..will look into clover.. how come you only rotate the manure in in the spring?? Thanks everyone d

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The frost breaks it up over winter Dave. Then the rain washes it in and the worms take it down. A lot of the work is done for you :)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I planted field beans and they are about two feet high already!!!! Was wondering if to cut the tops of and leave them mulched on the soil now????
Im not sure of the benefit of leaving them in over winter other than keeping the soil structure etc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE