Great Youtube video by Zold Outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
In my travels across the web while procrastinating from revising for my art history finals, I have come across this youtuber:

[video=youtube;eNCK9s_jk7U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCK9s_jk7U[/video]

The video has some gorgeous shots, amazing wilderness and he builds a tipi form a few tarps.

I find his videos Really refreshing. He barely talks about his kit, most his stuff is stuff he go from thrift stores and there is no hint of drama or survivalism about him. You really get the impression that bushcraft and outdoor living is less his hobby and more just his life.

Really interesting guy too, by the looks of it he lives off grid in a canvas wall tent in Ontario. Which is basically my dream after I graduate... maybe I should marry him ;) :rolleyes:

Anyway, I doubt many people will have seen his stuff so I thought I'd bring his channel to everyones attention! Enjoy! :eek:

Ettrick reiver

Jan 7, 2017
Scotland
Hi
Thanks for sharing. I love the honesty of his filming and only wish that we still had some wilderness here in Scotland, along with a realistic way of truly living off grid. I've yearned to move to Canada for the past twelve years as buying land is very cheap compared to here
Cheers
Garry.

Last edited:

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Hi
Thanks for sharing. I love the honesty of his filming and only wish that we still had some wilderness here in Scotland, along with a realistic way of truly living off grid. I've yearned to move to Canada for the past twelve years as buying land is very cheap compared to here
Cheers
Garry.

I totally agree, Scotland is okay for the quick weekend trip and better than the rest of the country but the 'wild' areas are such small pockets and we haven't got any substantial lake systems... I want to be able to paddle for 10 days and not see a single building, or even person!

I'm not entirely certain about it yet but my plan for after I graduate is to move to Northern Ontario and try to live off grid, or even live just in a small town on the edge of the wilderness. Its working out how to make enough money to eat out there though.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I avoid the endless 'Look at me...Look at me' survival and bushcraft and this is how you do it in the wilderness You Tube videos, especially the ones filmed camping in the British countryside... But that was excellent. I love his Gucci kit, poly tarps and nylon parcel string...How did he manage without Paracord or Bank line....as prescribed.? And please Miss..he was smoking and he said Indians, Miss..

Thankfully it looks like the spirit of Dick Proenneke is alive and well in the Canadian wilderness. Great find Forest Girl.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I love his Gucci kit, poly tarps and nylon parcel string...How did he manage without Paracord or Bank line....as prescribed.? And please Miss..he was smoking and he said Indians, Miss..

Not to mention the fact he was paddling in icy water without a drysuit or PFD, what WOULD the songs of the paddle chaps say?!! I think what he said about how his dogs might not live to a crippled old age but they will live a life better than most other dogs applies well to humans too - I'd rather live to 60 in the woods than to 80 in a city!

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Yep, really enjoy his videos. One of the few YouTube channels I actually stop doing other things to watch as opposed to them playing out in the background. The change of pace is infectious.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

bearbait

I'm not entirely certain about it yet but my plan for after I graduate is to move to Northern Ontario and try to live off grid, or even live just in a small town on the edge of the wilderness. Its working out how to make enough money to eat out there though.

IIRC you can stay in Canada for six months on the visitor-type visa that's stamped in your passport on arrival. If you want to stay longer you need to get it sorted up front before arrival, e.g. post-grad studies, work permit, investor, marriage, emigrate, etc. or split your time 6 months there, several months elsewhere (maybe 3 months on a similar type visa in the US). That's what I used to do. Kept a car over there (in BC) with loads of gear so I could just fly in and take off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE