Great tarp video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Hello,

Apologies if this video is really well known, but I found it really useful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo

With the ridge line, he uses a siberian hitch on one end and a trucker's hitch (powercinch) on the other. I tried this and found that it wasn't able to take a lot of weight, and holding the tension when you tie off the slippery half hitch is a bit hard. I asked the author about this and he replied saying:

Try running the working end through the "pulley" loop twice instead of once. This arrangement has several advantages. One, it makes a much more secure knot; and two, it will hold the tension while you tie the slippery half hitch. With the original method, you have to pinch the line until the half hitch is tied. This new method of twice through is the only one I use these days and is what we currently teach at our courses. Hope that helps and makes sense!

Which really seals the deal for me. Seems like that and the siberian hitch make a very handy combination.

What do you guys think?

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Thanks for that, I've been using a Siberian hitch since I started using a tarp but only just switched to using the truckers hitch a few weeks ago, I find it generally fine but I will definitely try and give this a go and see if it offers any advantages.

Good find :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Interesting.... Never thought about doubling it through. Manage to get good tention as-is, but it can be hard on the thumb when tying the slippery half hitch.

After recently discovering the siberian hitch/trucker's hitch combo, its all I will be using from now on.

al.

user24

Forager
Aug 13, 2011
Shrewsbury, UK
Manage to get good tention as-is, but it can be hard on the thumb when tying the slippery half hitch.

yeah, doubling it up really helps. To get really good tension you have to pull harder, and you still need to pinch it, but not half as tightly as with only a single loop through the pulley.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Nice thanks for sharing! I love a bit of tarpology in the morning!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE