Gransfors SFA or Scandinavian Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fatduck89

Nov 19, 2007
Goffs Oak
Ok heres the Dilemma; Me and my friends (4 in the team in total) are planning a back packing trip to Canada in may 2010. We are currently going through the process of carefully picking which kit we want, advising each other and purchasing, but none of us can make our minds up on which axe to purchase!

Among us, three of us have completed bushcraft trips, one of our party has backpacked across New Zealand, I have camped in Northern America (up state New York), I have been to Scotland, wales, France, Germany. and the other guy Mike has been to America on similar type trips numerous amount of times. But the trip we are planning is like nothing anyone has done before. A 4 month packing trip, beginning in Alberta and going north, from June to September.

We have all picked out the most essential items of our kit, but none of us can decide on which axe to purchase, we have used differnt axes in the past and decided that well quite like the Gransfors range. Currently I own a Scandinavian Axe from the range which I have found to be quite sturdy, robust and can take a alot of punishment! But for this trip we are trying to pack as light as possible and we cant decide which to go fo a Scandinavian axe or Small Forest Axe? We arnt going to be felling any large tree's, its more of a small log splitter, temporary shelters (two camps due to bears, sleeping camp with our tents and a cooking camp, with a temporary shelter incase of bad/cold weather to eat and drink under)

So, apologies for the longish post, but I really want to gauge your opinion, would a Small Forest Axe be up for the job, or would we have to opt for a Scandinavian?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I am all in favour of forward planning but really May 2010 is 22 months away and you are worrying about which axe? if you have not played with and bought a SFA in that time take your SA.

leon-1

I would look at sourcing an axe in theater, in other words wait until you get there to buy one. Before you go check out hardware stores in the region you are travelling and see if you can pick up a Snow & Nealey Hudson Bay Axe, they are a good quality axe and the cost of buying one over there would be a lot less than buying an SFA over here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE