Gransfors French Trader Tomahawk???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 12, 2006
wiltshire
hi all
has anybody any experience with the gransfors french traders tomahawk??? as i thinking of getting one so im going to need a price and if they are any good as i intend to use it around camp ???? also any info about other tomahawks that are sutable (sorry im not interested in war hawks) as i think it will be a nice addition to my kit and a change from the SFA
cheers all

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I have this one
hawk1.jpg

hawk2.jpg

Is that the kind of thing your after?

Mark

Taiga

Oct 24, 2006
hertfordshire
I have one of the Tomahawks you are asking about,first off they a lot lighter than sfa and the edge is more curved so it comes into contact with the wood in a way that takes a bit of getting use to.
the fact there is a bit of a beard on the head means it can be used as a plane.If you break the handle they are easy to replace just knock the old one out ad carve a new one, as to price they are not cheap expect to pay about £125.

hope this has been of help

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
heath said:
Buckshot

What is that tomahawk? It looks great.
It's a Gransfors British Trade Axe, Tomahawk according to this.
Not the French one Wilts was after though.

Taiga is right they do cut differently than a modern style axe and they're expensive new - or even second hand. I paid more for this second hand than than a new SFA :rolleyes:

Nice little tool though and a little different.

Mark

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
wilts-bushcraft said:
hi all
has anybody any experience with the gransfors french traders tomahawk??? as i thinking of getting one so im going to need a price and if they are any good as i intend to use it around camp ???? also any info about other tomahawks that are sutable (sorry im not interested in war hawks) as i think it will be a nice addition to my kit and a change from the SFA
cheers all

I've never heard of Gransfors' Tomahawks, now I'm extremely interested!

I carry a Cold Steel Rifleman's hawk.

First, and most important piece of advice I can give.. if you're going to carry it the traditional way (unsheathed, tucked into your belt), ALWAYS be aware of where the cutting edge is! Nicked my arm bad, back in February.. as well as a good bush shirt! :rolleyes:

Got a link to the tomahawks though? I'm a big fan of 'hawks in general, so I'd love to look at them.

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
I have an axe that is almost the same as the French one, it is an Italian axe made buy Anglo, a great axe, it is much thinner than the Gransfors.

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
I have the French tomahawk and I like it a lot. The only downside is that the head can come loose with use, the positive side of this is that it makes replacing the handle much easier, you just bang it back on again so no great hassle.

My only advice would be to make sure the head is well fitted to the handle to avoid the above problem. I think mine was around £100 new from Light My Fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE