'Grandy' Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
When my parents was in China, I bought a Brusletto 'Granbit' blade and a piece of birch. I made a knife, but made it all wrong. A couple days ago, dad bought some Epoxy araldit glue and we tried to glue the blade to the birch handle, but it all went wrong. :roll:

So last night, I perforated a hole for the tang, in a normal piece of wood and glued the blade. This morning, I made the new handle. I know! It's not very beautiful, but it's functional and that's what we all want eh, as bushcrafters? :wink:

I call it a Grandy cause the blade is a 'Granbit' and my name is Andy. :wink: :eek:): It matches perfect! :D

The blade is 11 cm. long and 12c27 Sandvik. Don't know what the wood is, but it's light and viking inspired. (viking design)

Ugly isn't it?
DSC00253.jpg

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I'm not very satisfied myself. :roll: :shock: I didn't have any properly tools or handle wood. Think i'll just buy one. :roll: :wink:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
It's not nearly so bad as my first knife. :biggthump Don't ever get rid of it. Someday you will enjoy looking back on it. Looks pretty functional to me, with a nice comfy handle.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i agree.. its great to see you can fashion a handle with minimal tools.. that way should a knife handle become damaged you know you have the skills to make a substitute and keep your knife functional..

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Nice knife indeed! Well done and thanks for posting pics!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Well, I hated the other ones design so now with a few files and sandpaper, I've made a 'new' one. :wink: The finish is not good, but MUCH better than the other one. The handle is more oval and not so great diameter. :eek:):
It's perfect for me! :biggthump
DSC00254.jpg

Only thing needed now is some linseed oil. :wave:

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
No matter how it looks, it's functional and YOU made it, you have put part of yourself into the making of it, to my mind, this gives it character, you should be proud of what you have achieved.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Les Marshall said:
No matter how it looks, it's functional and YOU made it, you have put part of yourself into the making of it, to my mind, this gives it character, you should be proud of what you have achieved.
:biggthump :biggthump :wave:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
It's actually my 2'nd knife. ;) Made one in school when i was 12 once. But that took several hours and lessons, cause our teacher was soooo slooooowwww...... :roll:

It is actually quite functional, though there are more funtional knives on the market, or should i say, the bench. :wink:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Little Viking, you should be proud of it. You have made something useful and you have learned how to replace the handle of a broken knife.

I dont think it is ugly either - I like it.

Rest assured you have made something many people can not or wont, and you now have a functional tool which is unique.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I think that's an excellent knife Viking, Well done. It's simple and functional and looks like it's going to be a good packfriend to you :biggthump

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
The knife is actually much better IRL, than on the image. :roll: As said, it's stainless steel (12c27). Of course there are pros and cons, but one of the advantages is that i won't have to do any maintenance, on 2 carbon knives then. :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE