Gorse flowers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I shoved a handful of gorse flowers in my gob at the weekend as I've never tried them before. Not too sure what I thought as they didn't really taste of much, are they supposed to taste of almonds or something ?

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I understand they taste vaguely of coconut to some people, I'm not one of them. Closest thing I can think of is linseed.

Ah well, we'll see how it likes being turned into wine :D

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i have a recipe for pickling them somewhere, similar to the ash key recipe.
i did try one recently and it was a bit coconutty i must admit.
thankfully nothing stingy hidden within!

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I find they smell of coconut but taste of runner bean. I tend to pull off a couple of the larger petals as I think they can be a bit bitter. Anyone got any idea on how many you would need to make wine?

cheers,

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well if you're making 15 litres of wine yes :p Scaling that down you need about half a pint per 750ml bottle, or about 3 pints of flowers for a one-gallon demijohn.

I'd call that "quite a lot". It's about three times the rate at which I normally use elder flowers for wine.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Anyone tried to make a tea from them? The raw article doesn't taste of much to me. Well, it tastes of 'plant', but that's hardly unique. But the smell of coconut is unmissable. I always thought there should be some way to capture that.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
They seem to be a 'love it or hate it' thing. After reading this thread I'll have to give them a go. Like many weeds I've never bothered with them before. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE