Goretex trousers - repairing taped seam.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I have a pair of old German Army goretex trousers that have been stalwart. But now I notice the taped seam is lifting in a couple of spots.

Is there any way that I can stick it back down, and if so what should I use? They appear to be waterproof still, but I want to catch this before it spreads.

Thanks for any advice.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Silicone sealant (Low modulus stuff), Stormsure or any other proprietary seam sealer is the stuff you want. You should be able to pick it up from any camping store.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Some of the commercial stuff is ironed on....well, it's actually applied by the same machine that stitches the fabric. It heats and pressure seals the tape over the seam. Sometimes, and it is sometimes, you can fix it with an iron, but you have to be careful of the melting point of the fabric.

Probably the seam sealer is the safest way.

cheers,
M

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Many thanks for the responses, I know the way forward!

I can pick up some Stormsure easily enough I think. I have another seam sealing job - the zip seam of my tipi is leaking in persistent strong rain - will the same sealant do both jobs?

Thanks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE