Good day sack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Are these old style frame rucksacks comfy?
I saw a rucksack on kepis walk in the woods. I think it was rockmonkey that had one.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
What is this pack. Looks nice! :)
DSCN0267.jpg

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
60 l That is not a day a sack by any stretch of the imagination However it is cheap and good value

20 l is adequate personally I have gone even smaller depends on your daily needs

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
That looks good shewie. Have you got one. Also the only thing I'm not sure about is having everything in one compartment.

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
If you're going to be carrying it for any kind of distance, buy an Osprey daysack - the most comfortable daysack I've used by some distance. I have a Manta 25 if it's any help...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That looks good shewie. Have you got one. Also the only thing I'm not sure about is having everything in one compartment.

Had one but sold it to someone who really wanted one, they're back in stock again now so ordered another last night, great packs.

Plenty of room for waterproofs, map & compass, food, brew kit, tarp, binos/camera etc

Qwerty

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Ireland
www.instagram.com
I own one of the bags in the original post and can confirm it's well worth the money. BUT, it really is too big for a day bag (makes an ideal overnighter) and is not particularly comfortable for walking any distance over 2 hours. You can do it of course, but there are better bags for the money. For me it comes into its own when out for a day in the forest and you want to bring along some toys to play with or practice on. An excellent load carrier over relatively short distances sums it up for me.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just a thought, but if you've already got a rucksack with removable side-pockets, why not use the sidepockets as a day-pack?

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
It's a norwegian heroes of telemark pack.
Came unused in original packaging from military mart, just as comfy as my karrimor sabre delta 35.
We bimble every week for about 6 hours and never had a problem, less sweat on my back than the karrimor!
Billy can, 2 bottles of water, hammock, swandri, cooker with gas, first aid kit etc, plenty of room left over for collecting wood.
always better to have a half empty bigger pack than a full small pack, Fact!
Love mine, as does hugo, my most used pack.
Cheap as chip as well!, just can't beat old school!

RM

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Another recommendation for the osprey kit! I think there are now 6 of their packs (including a kid carrier) in the house for the wife, baby and I. Very good quality, extremely comfortable and great load carrying capacity. I have tried a lot of the traditional bushcraft/ex military packs but have found them far to uncomfortable/heavy etc. All depends on what you are going to use it for and how long you are going to have it on your back, the other great thing about the osprey gear is that if you do break it just send it back and they normally send you a brand new pack!

Before baby I used an Atmos for nearly two years on long and short trips and it stood up to everything I threw at it.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/previous_season_1/atmos_series_2011

I have a friend who use the kestral and swears by it.
http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/group/previous_season_1/kestrel_series

I now carry baby on every trip and use their osprey poco plus, which in addition to baby has a 25lt capacity. When all loaded up, baby plus kit etc., the weight is crazy but again the back system is spot on so is comfortable!

Get properly fitted, I have a very long back which led me to osprey because of their size range. Cotswolds and Snow and Rock offer a great fitting service in their stores. BCUK membership even gives you a 15% discount!

Just to add I am not an osprey rep, just a very happy customer!

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
My osprey talon 22 is my favourite for rock climbing and alpine climbing!
Can't recommend them enough, just like the old school packs when it comes to Bushcraft!, other than my Berghaus Vulcan for big trips, for heavy loads you need the best back system you can afford!

RM

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
RM i was looking at the vintage pack. Are they shower proof,? Do you have any problems with the load shifting about in the pack if its not full?
Sorry to hijack the thread outdoordude.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Great for showers, and when it stops being so good, i'll give it a quick spray with a waterproofing spray!
When nearly empty the lid pulls right over to the buckles at the bottom.
Have got some canvas of hugo, so thinking of doing a few internal compartments, but haven't found a reason to do it yet, pack works fine as it is!
Hope this helps

RM

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Cheers for that. Had a hankering for something vintage after finding my Dads old vintage sack from the late 40s. And for £20 delivered its not going to break the bank.
uqe7evys.jpg

agetysyz.jpg

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks for all the help guys. Ill order one soon fund permitting but its not exactly a fortune at £15.00 new. Thanks for all the help RM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE