Good coal extender (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
I want to show you very interesting plant. This plant is called Mugwort (scientific name Artemisia vulgaris) and makes very good coal extender!

1672qnc.jpg

23staoy.jpg

Leaves
9u11ll.jpg

Flowers
28sagy1.jpg

It holds the dead leaves at the bottom
2mn3w1s.jpg

And this is exactly what you need, just pick up some of the dead leaves (contain essential oils)
1zwge2c.jpg

2dw4xg3.jpg

and roll them between your hands
x6gzmu.jpg

29bgfhs.jpg

This small bundle is perfect coal extender! Holds coal for about 20 minutes, but you can create bigger bundle if you need :). I used lighter at this time.
16gh0gn.jpg

15dl2zt.jpg

23hvngh.jpg

m0c4y.jpg

2i942uu.jpg

2i9ij5e.jpg

9vgr5y.jpg

It can be easily ignited with ferro rod, you just fluff it up and strike a spark, or with magnifying lens, etc... Then you put it into your tinder and blow it to flame. This can be smaller alternative to amadou.
I don't know if this plant is growing in the UK but here in my country is pretty widespread.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Mugwort smells great :D Though i beleive too much of the smell can lead to "funny" dreams. Using it on a smudge will all help to keep the bugs at bay. I have some on the window sill at the moment :)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Lake: Thanks for posting this information and these very useful pics. This plant is not native to the U.S., where I live, but it has somehow got introduced here and is widespread and invasive.

I think it will be very useful. I'm going to try to find some and give it a try. I understand that it is very common in herbal medicine and has several uses. When you see Chinese accupuncturist using a burning substance called "moxa" or moxabustion this is what is being used.

Once again, thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE