Good 65+ litre rucksacks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Hi has anyone got suggestions for best quality (but without silly prices) for rucksacks to be used for general hiking and camping. A mate is looking for a new pack- I currently use an old Macpac and would recommend this type but the new packs look too angular and wide at the base (more like misshapen mountain packs!) so I'm not too sure about them- any ideas/ thoughts guys n' gals?

Jim. :-?

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
JimFSC said:
Hi has anyone got suggestions for best quality (but without silly prices) for rucksacks to be used for general hiking and camping. A mate is looking for a new pack- I currently use an old Macpac and would recommend this type but the new packs look too angular and wide at the base (more like misshapen mountain packs!) so I'm not too sure about them- any ideas/ thoughts guys n' gals?

Jim. :-?

Well I've got a Lowe Alpine Crossbow Alpamayo 75+15 (or 20, not quire sure) I think its great. Someone at outdoormagic (not me or anyone I know, just tured up in a web search for how to spell Alpamayo!) is selling one secondhand but unused with lables still attached for £120:
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/classifieds/advert.asp?c=410&sp=328870336979364624220&v=1
I seem to remember paying more than that about 4 years ago.
Cheers
David

Brynglas

I've had a macpac pursuit for almost ten years now and it's still going strong. I don't think that you can go wrong with Macpac personally exceptionally tough, mine is still totally waterproof, and I find that at 45 litres the pursuit is big enough for me to use as for a couple of days winter climbing, and also cinches down to be comfortable when half empty.

I can get my buffalo bag into the bottom, with a bivvy bag have room for food and kit and get a rope stashed accross the top.

Otherwise I hear that the current crop of berghaus sacks are getting good reviews.

Best of Luck

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
I've got an osprey aether 75, its ideal for lugging stuff around on the moors. the hipbelt comes in different sizes, so its probably best to try them on rather than mail order. no side pockets, but one in the lid. I think i payed £130 which is quite a bit really, but i can't fault it.

cheers gb

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Thanks everyone, I decided (thanks to some good advice, cheers mate) to aquire the Woodlore steel which gives out loads of sparks and works in moments- the other one gives only 1 or 2 sparks each strike. I'm happily starting merry blazes (responsibly) all over the place and I'm teaching my Duke of Edinborough group next week! :-D :bu:

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Well, now for the message I intended to post on this page....

Thanks for the input, I'll pass it all on to my mate at the weekend- I think I probably will recommend the Macpac (although I still reckon the new ones look odd), has anyone got one in the last couple of years? How are they?

Jim.

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
I think my Karrimor Condor 60/80/100 cost about £100 when I got it! Been a good sack but I dont like carrying 100L its too damn big, I think 65L is a good size to aim for.

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE