Golite Shangrila 3 (hex)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've got a hex 3 that I use when I can't hammock. I've got the nest to go with it, but use it mainly without.
Keep meaning to invest in the lightweight groundsheet to go with it.

I've used it with a sil poncho over the door, but as i'm usually on my own I don't tend to bother.

Neil

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Neil,

The standard groundsheet most certainly isn't light. I also use a shangrila 1 (Utopia) groundsheet, far more compact, lighter and will connect in with some bungy cord to the attachments in the Hex, it 'bathtubs' and has plenty of room to leave your kit sprawled about. It compresses down to about the size of a thick pair of socks.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
Inners is for p00fters wot would not last 5 minutes up the jungle!.

I'm guessing you've never been camping North of the border in Midge season if you can come out with a comment like that :)

I use a poncho as a porch over the door if it's pouring and I want to cook or anything undercover, works well and is plenty big enough.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I'm guessing you've never been camping North of the border in Midge season if you can come out with a comment like that sergeant major :)

gunner_padoruski_graham.jpg

I have, but not with a Hex, luvely boy :D

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why offset if you have the extender pole to just raise it a few inches? That said without the nest or bathtub groundsheet it could get drafty camping out of the woods in wind.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Oddly enough it doesn't get draughty, if a real blow happend the geometry of the side tends to shift inward and downward. The offsetting is to free up the middle of the shelter ground space, it is how it is intended to be used for 3 people - otherwise someone is going to have a pole up his or her bottom :D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I had a Hex 3 with the inner, but sold it. Was a lifesaver in midge season, the inner cone was handy, as the ones which got in, are funnelled to the top, so you can clap em all.
Im a six footer, and my feet were poking through the side as well. I had some nocturnal critter trying to chew on my feet in the middle of the night.

I use a 44g piece of polycryo in my Trailstar ..

P1000756P.jpg

Is that small yellow peg, in the right hand corner a groundsheet peg Shewie? Do you put that straight through the duct tape, or do you attach pieces of cord from the duct tape to your alpkit tent pegs? [If its a groundsheet peg, can i ask where you got it from?]
And, how did you go about putting silicon dots and stripes ojn the bottom of your bivy to stop it sliding around onthe polycryo?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is that small yellow peg, in the right hand corner a groundsheet peg Shewie? Do you put that straight through the duct tape, or do you attach pieces of cord from the duct tape to your alpkit tent pegs? [If its a groundsheet peg, can i ask where you got it from?]
And, how did you go about putting silicon dots and stripes ojn the bottom of your bivy to stop it sliding around onthe polycryo?

It is mate, it's one of the daft little ones which Terra Nova use to get there tent weights down :) Useless is anything other than a bowling green with zero wind. They do a good job of holding the sheet down though. I folded over some gaffa tape on the corners and then poked a hot peg through, no cordage.

Forgot to reply to your PM about the silicone sorry. I mixed up some clear bathroom silicone with two parts turps. Just paint on the spots and stripes and then the turps evaporates leaving the silicone impregnated into the fabric. I sometimes use a POE Ether Elite AC 2/3 mat which slides about a lot more than my tacky NeoAir.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE