Going it alone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
My work involves me dealing with people a lot, often in confrontational situations so I tend to prefer going out alone. Other reasons is that I'm an antisocial sod with no mates.

Went on a 5 day survival course end last year and to be honest, I was close to going mental at having to be with same folks for that long. They were getting on my nerves probably almost as much as I was getting on theirs.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not to bothered but I do like to go with the dog, plus he's always free at the weekends:D

How much does he charge during the week? :)

Sorry,couldn't resist.

I confess, that because I work a lot alone, I find company when out and about too difficult to put up with. I'm just getting grumpier and more anti-social by the day :D. Mind you, I've trekked on my own since I was a kid so maybe it's not old age!

Cheers,
Broch

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
When you`re planning a trip or just out and about for a few days foraging do you prefer to go it alone, or be part of a team? when i say team i mean at least one good reliable mate/buddy.
The reason i ask is; most out door activities involve at least 2 people as a minimum for safety reasons. Climbing,kayaking,mountain biking,fell walking,scuba diving,etc,etc, even green laning in a 4x4 has a recommendation that 2 vehicles are involved, so are bush craft camping and expeditions any different?

Two is company, three is sometimes awkward but 4 or more feels about right to create a happy camping or bushcraft crowd. :)

I go alone unless I know someone who is keen to be convinced they are missing out on something.

I'm a lover of the outdoors first, walker second, bushcrafter last. My experience tells me that there are a lot of people who are keen to talk up a good adventure, then when it comes to the crunch, they have something more important to do.

I can always rely on myself. Besides, when you are listening out for the wild world and the company you are with is chattering on, you miss out on too much!

elhig

Jan 31, 2010
glasgow
never been out on my own, but after reading this I'm wondering how hard it'd be to get a weekend pass, from swmbo, for me and the dog, and how hard it'd be to get the dog on the bus to loch lomond

for me its a case of pro's and cons for both
Pro's of going alone-do as you want, see more, cook to your liking,only pack enough stuff for yourself,
Cons of going alone-no one to share experience with,no one to take it in turns to brew up, no one to go through the unpeasent bits with(shared hardships are more endurable in my experience)
Pro's of going in group-share skills,less individual work ie firewood gathering/preparation, take it in turns to cook,look at each others latest kit
Cons of going with others-excessive chattering, possibility of being cancelled on at last minute(happened to me a lot until i stopped asking the individual if they were up for camping) other peoples flatulance/personal habits, if i am trying to inspire other person to come then i usually end up doing the majority of the work

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
I love going alone, but after 25 years of living in the woods desert and tropics, I a starting to want to share the moments with someone. Life isnt meant to be alone, and your demons will haunt you in the woods if not dealth with. But I would go for such long times, when I get back the lights glowed, and people seem so strange, like they looked so unrelaxed and looked like broken robots and didnt flow with life like a bad dancer. But it is fun to take someone who never did it, and show them, especially if they are really into it. Sure they look at me like I am insane at some of the things I do, but they so love it, and it brings me joy to see their smiling face. But if the person is going to nag and allows get homesick, then they are own their own. I got no time for pussy-footing around to wants verses needs.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
I forgot to mention. I am prone to push my limits when others are around and try things I might not try alone, since who can help if I get hurt.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I prefer having an accomplice - sharing is half the fun. I have been out solo on several occasions just to overcome the fear of being out alone but for me the best times have been when you have a small group of friends

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE