gluing wood to tiles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hi all,

I have a couple of small blocks of ash to glue to some small kitchen tiles. I have considered drilling but the tiles are small 75mm x 75mm and the potential for breaking seems strong.

The two small blocks 50mm x 50mm will hold a 180mm x 50mm x 50mm spoon rack (also ash)

Any suggestions for a glue that will glue ash to wall tiles?

Last edited:

wildjetskier

Aug 25, 2010
Ascot
Hi Mark

Personally I would drill if you are careful and have a new drill bit, and DONT use hammer!!!, it will be spot on. Otherwise lightly score the area you want to fix to, the tiles will be ruined no matter what you do, and either grip fill or Sikaflex. Then ensure that the block is supported and wont slip down, either by wedging something underneath or masking tape, if its not too heavy. Leave 24hrs job done. HTH Jez

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
If there porcelain you will need the correct drill bit,,i've tried to drill some at work that are like bell metal.

also consider 'sticks like sh1t' awesome stuff.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There is a product out there called Blur Grit. Designed for sticking tile over tile so might work.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Black CT1 powergrip is the strongest IME, It'll hold bathroom sinks to the wall with no screws. Incredibly grippy sticky stuff.

Sikaflex, Soudal fix-all, Sticks like sh** will also do it.

If you have high modulus/ sanitary silicone sealant, that will do it too.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Simplest way I have found is to put a strip of masking tape on the places you intend to drill, try and get it in the centre of the tile if you can, then using masonary drill bit put it against the tile and with the drill in reverse and NO HAMMER slowly get the bit to rotate until it gets a grip, then turn to forward rotation and start again slowly still no hammer until you are through the tile and into the adhesive then you can put the hammer on to get into the brick or block behind. if it is plaster board you won't need the hammer at all. then using the appropriate rawlplug and screws you can fix the blocks back, just don't do it to tight.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
If all else fails there is a tube of sticky stuff called "The business", and it will stick pretty much anything to anything, just don't get it on your hands...

http://www.cromar.uk.com/sealantadhesives/the-business-ms-polymer.html

http://www.platinumchemicals.co.uk/the-business-ms-polymer-p-166.html

But over £5 a tube

Product Description

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An all round durable, flexible adhesive and sealant based on MS Polymer technology providing excellent adhesion to non-porous surfaces and is paintable with most paints. Can be applied on damp surfaces.

Tested and approved in accordance with EC Regulation No 1935/2004 for materials intended to come into contact with food. This product is odourless, neutral and free of isocyanates.

Product Uses

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Suitable for sealing joints around sanitary fixings, weatherproofing joints around windows and doors, glazing systems, joints and assemblies in coach body work.

For gluing panels, skirting boards, windows, threshold, mirrors and insulation materials. Will seal and bond glass, porcelain, coated metal, epoxy and polyester panels, polystyrene, UPVC, stainless steel, anodised aluminium and finished wood.

Can also be used as an universal filler for cracks and uneven surfaces. May be used safely in the foodstuff-related sector. For example the grouting of wall and floor areas in companies which are preparing and processing foodstuffs.

Last edited:

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I've used them on tiles, glass, mirrors and block.

"3 Piece Set. Tungsten carbide tip drill bits for clean cutting through tile, porcelain, ceramic, glass and mirror."

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Just don't be worried about it, I fit disabled toilet packs, in a tiled room I have to drill over 50 holes in the tiles to fix everything to the walls, hand rails have 6 holes each and there are four of those to fit, plus a drop rail with another 4 or 6 holes the toilet cistern, the wash basin adds another 7 holes, then the pipework can add another 26 holes, not broken any tiles for over ten years of doing this.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
if they are porcelain good luck,they'll eat them bits:D

Tried to do this my self, only 4 holes mind. Three hours later and six drill bits later we finished. Tried all sorts of drill bits and thry all burnt out.
Bearing in mind we are used to drilling glass of all thicknesses but this was a whole other bag.
Never again...

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE